Venice was by far the most expensive city I've been in. Total tourist trap, cool city, but they gouge you for everything. There were definitely some cool things about it, like the complete lack of car noise and taking the water bus along the main canals, I think I was just overwhelmed at how much everything cost there. Went to Trieste to visit my friend Kelly and had a great time there. It was nice to spend time with a friend and fellow American for a change. Had to stay in a hostel when I was in Venice, which certainly added to the price of things. Thankfully, I got to stay for free at Kelly's for a couple of nights so that was a much-welcomed reprieve from paying for lodging.
Next was Barcelona, Espana. My coworkers at Tuttle had warned me to expect them to have a lisp and boy did they ever. Instead of "cinco" euros it was "thinco" euros. No one came through on couchsurfing so I had to hostel it again, which drains me of money and just sucks my soul somehow. I spent a lot of time in the hostel trying not to spend money due to the previous week in Venice taking such a toll on my bank account. My thought was that if I didn't go anywhere than I wouldn't spend any money, and it worked thankfully. I did go on a couple of free walking tours which were great and also saw the famous "Sagrada Familia" by Gaudi which is still in the process of being built. It's absolutely enourmous. I just walked around the outside and was impressed by all the cool architecture. I'll add pictures when I have wifi on my computer (I'm currently using my couchsurfing host's computer for this update.)
A couple of days ago I came over to Paris. I went to Paris in 2007 for a 5-day vacation and loved it so I thought I would come here again. This time it's much colder (last time I came in August) but there are still plenty of really cool sights to make up for the cold. I'm loving it here so far. A couchsurfer came through and he's another great guy who has been a wonderful host...I haven't eaten this well in I don't know how long. My parents were a little hesitant with me coming over due to all the strikes they've been having but I came anyways (they're supposed to strike tomorrow again so we'll have to see how that goes.) Just today alone I went to the Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, and the Louve. All really impressive stuff and I promise to post photos once I have them downloaded on my computer and have wifi access. There were some really cool street performers in front of Sacre Coeur that I took some video of so I can't wait to post that on facebook when I get a chance. The first guy juggles a soccer ball in a way that would take your breath away. Probably the most impressive was when he was hanging from a light pole with his feet out in front of him juggling like it was nothing...really incredible. The second was a group of break dancers and I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't think that is cool. I really had a great day today and don't know how I will top it tomorrow. Oh, and I saw the Eiffel Tower give a light show like it does every night on the hour for 5 minutes. It's really incredible if you've never witnessed it before.
Well, it's almost 1 am here so I'm going to call it a night. Hope you're all doing well on your side of the world :)
Next was Barcelona, Espana. My coworkers at Tuttle had warned me to expect them to have a lisp and boy did they ever. Instead of "cinco" euros it was "thinco" euros. No one came through on couchsurfing so I had to hostel it again, which drains me of money and just sucks my soul somehow. I spent a lot of time in the hostel trying not to spend money due to the previous week in Venice taking such a toll on my bank account. My thought was that if I didn't go anywhere than I wouldn't spend any money, and it worked thankfully. I did go on a couple of free walking tours which were great and also saw the famous "Sagrada Familia" by Gaudi which is still in the process of being built. It's absolutely enourmous. I just walked around the outside and was impressed by all the cool architecture. I'll add pictures when I have wifi on my computer (I'm currently using my couchsurfing host's computer for this update.)
A couple of days ago I came over to Paris. I went to Paris in 2007 for a 5-day vacation and loved it so I thought I would come here again. This time it's much colder (last time I came in August) but there are still plenty of really cool sights to make up for the cold. I'm loving it here so far. A couchsurfer came through and he's another great guy who has been a wonderful host...I haven't eaten this well in I don't know how long. My parents were a little hesitant with me coming over due to all the strikes they've been having but I came anyways (they're supposed to strike tomorrow again so we'll have to see how that goes.) Just today alone I went to the Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, and the Louve. All really impressive stuff and I promise to post photos once I have them downloaded on my computer and have wifi access. There were some really cool street performers in front of Sacre Coeur that I took some video of so I can't wait to post that on facebook when I get a chance. The first guy juggles a soccer ball in a way that would take your breath away. Probably the most impressive was when he was hanging from a light pole with his feet out in front of him juggling like it was nothing...really incredible. The second was a group of break dancers and I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't think that is cool. I really had a great day today and don't know how I will top it tomorrow. Oh, and I saw the Eiffel Tower give a light show like it does every night on the hour for 5 minutes. It's really incredible if you've never witnessed it before.
Well, it's almost 1 am here so I'm going to call it a night. Hope you're all doing well on your side of the world :)
No comments:
Post a Comment