Sunday, July 24, 2011

What a night!

The other day, Thursday to be precise, I was bored around 10:30 so I called a friend to see if he wanted to go to Applebee's. He did and so I picked him up and started driving. Shortly on our way, the car in front of us stops suddenly and I see that they have a flat tire. So I decide to pull up behind them when they go to the side of the road to see if I can help in any way. Come to find out, they don't have a jack for their SUV. After taking the bolts off their tire when it was still on the ground, I proceed to get the jack out of my car to see if I can lift up the SUV enough to change their tire. When I got the jack completely vertical, it didn't lift the SUV an inch. Thankfully, they had called road-side assistance to come help so I decided it was okay to leave them until assistance came. Not only that, but the girl who got out of the backseat was a former student of mine who gave me a big hug. Now, keep in mind that this girl was one of my worst students ever and made my life miserable for a year. That's about the closest I've ever had to come to loving my enemies. It was almost as if she made it her goal to see how many of my buttons she could press in a day. Then she hugs me; maybe I had a better influence on her than I had originally thought.

After we sit in Applebee's for a while, I tell my friend that I have to go outside on the patio because I'm freezing sitting there in the air conditioning after having sweat through a shirt while working on their car. We go outside and sit down, only to be interrupted by some ghetto girls who were yelling so loudly on their phone that I couldn't even hear my friend who was sitting right across the table from me. Then she hands the phone to her friend who proceeds to chew the poor guy out on the other end of the line just as much as the first girl did and just as loud. I'm not sure what yelling produced, but I'm pretty sure it didn't lead anywhere productive. This was a good lesson for me in teaching as I realized yelling doesn't really produce anything positive from my students.

After they finally leave, the guy on the other side of us starts to talk to us. He basically told us his life story of how when he was 19 he 'slapped' someone with a BB gun. I'm not even 100% sure what he meant by slapping someone, whether he meant shooting someone or literally slapping them across the face with it. Anyways, he got 3 years of prison for it, so there was obviously more to his history than just that. He talks to us non-stop for about 20 minutes before we finally excuse ourselves to go home.

My friend and I get in the car and I say, "What is it tonight?! Why are all these random things happening to us?" We laugh and then go home. Oh, and another thing that happened that night was that I got scammed by someone. She told me her sob story of how her boyfriend had left her and she needed to take the bus back down to Ft. Myers so I gave her $20. Then I asked my waitress if there was a scammer in their parking lot and she repeated the exact story that the woman had told me. It was extremely frustrating, to say the least.

That was one of the craziest nights I've ever had. And all for just wanting to go to Applebee's late at night to kill some time. Wow, what a night!

No comments: