Saturday, September 10, 2011

Meaningless online arguments, teaching kindergarten, and meaningful relationships

So, I fell for it. Someone put something controversial on their facebook page and I took the bait hook line and sinker. Looking back, it reminds me of a comedian who said something was as worthless as fiery comments on a youtube video. Oh well, I've been guilty of arguing with my own kind before, nothing new really. There's nothing wrong with arguing, mind you, but it is a rare instance that it actually leads to anything productive. Instead, it usually just makes each person think they're more right in their own minds rather than reaching a mutual agreement. It's kind of like politics in that regard. Each side just says how the other one is wrong and we get nowhere in the meantime. With this last one though, I simply couldn't resist. Now, given, I put stuff on my own facebook from time to time that is controversial just to see if anyone bites, so I'm no better than the next person. Makes you wonder what social utilities are good for anyhow. A friend of mine was telling me how facebook had been responsible for a lot of his friends' divorces. Then there's the endless bickering some people partake in; which I usually try to avoid but every once in a while I get sucked into. Then of course you have the inevitable drama that some people experience from reading the wrong way into something since you can't include expression into type, smiley faces aside.

In the same breath, facebook was a lifeline for me on my journey around the world. It helped to realize there were people on the other side of the world who still knew me and still cared about me. Sometimes too, it's an easier way to communicate. Then again, you're taking away from face time, and not the type of face time that you can get with the iPhone 4 or the iPad. No, actual face to face time, when you're in one another's presence. There's nothing that beats that in my opinion. It leads to deeper relationships since you're not able to put on a fake front with each other. Honestly, that's part of what concerns me about the whole online dating thing. Of course the other person is going to seem perfect on paper, why wouldn't they? It's not like people are going to include their annoying habits, if they even realize they have them in the first place. What are they like when you meet them in person, though. Sure, at first they still seem perfect and like they can do no wrong, but how long does that last?

Back to the online arguments idea...I just saw a post by the same person that sucked me into an argument before and there were 23 long comments after her post. Apparently I'm not the only one that's been sucked into it with her. Why is compromise so difficult in regards to political things? Our politicians can't compromise, that's for sure. Meanwhile our country is headed in the wrong direction as we stand idly by and do nothing about it. Several of the tea part candidates were elected precisely because they were known as people who didn't compromise. Well, guess what happens when you don't compromise in politics or in life? You get absolutely nowhere, and it takes a lot longer to get there.

In other news, I'm absolutely loving kindergarten. I have a fantastic class, the kind of class that makes you think to yourself, "Yeah, this is why I became a teacher." I was as nervous as a cat when I started out in it, but it has turned out to be one of the best starts to a school year that I've ever had. Even now, when the honeymoon phase is over, they're still great kids. It's been like a breath of fresh air in my teaching career.

I think my year off and traveling around the world was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It helped lift me out of depression and just gave me a new perspective on life and somehow made me more grateful for what I have in life. It's so easy to take everything I have in this life for granted until it's stripped away and I realize how much I depend on my family and friends. As far as stuff goes, I didn't really miss any of my 'stuff' but rather was reminded of just how important my relationships with others are. My world revolves around relationships, my relationship with God first and foremost, followed closely by my relationships with my family and close friends. I have been extremely blessed to have very deep friendships that have weathered the test of time and distance.

A friend of mine recently told me I just needed to, "get over it, get a wife, and have a kid." This struck me as fairly odd, since she's known me for a while and I've been single for the majority of that time. It was in reference to when I visited a mutual couple friends of our's who had their firstborn son recently. This young couple called me a 'baby hog' jokingly because of how entranced I was with this newborn's little life. I couldn't get enough of the baby that first day in the hospital. While this may be true, I don't believe that means I need to "get over it and get a wife and have a kid of my own." Marriage is a huge commitment, one I'm simply not willing to make at this point in my life. Seems like I have a hard enough time keeping my own stuff straight much less throw another person into the mix. Also, for some reason whenever I try and date someone it turns out to be a disaster and way harder than it should be. This is somewhat strange I think since I make friendships so easily. Who knows? Maybe I'm just not meant for that type of relationship. Contrary to popular belief, you can lead a full and satisfying life without getting married and having kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quality read :) I came home after a long day out and got online (because it's THE source of entertainment at home)and thought, ok, what can I do or read or look up? And then I remembered, ah! I have Justin's blog to read!! I was excited I just want you to know.:)
I can relate about the online business, both points, about getting sucked into stupid arguments (that's happened once or twice, I might have even started one or two...), and about being online as being vital to my sanity to stay connected with family and friends. Since I've been here I've been trying to find the balance between really living here and "being" here, and not letting myself be drawn back into the life I had back home. Being away gives you a whole new experience and perspective, and I don't want to lose that or not experience everything I'm being offered here because I'm not willing to give up my connection to home for a while. I'm sure it's something I'll continue to work on. I'm glad you did your big trip before me, I feel like I've benefited from your experience and what you've had to share. So thank you for the encouragement and advice, I count on you for that, because you know what it's like!!
I just can't tell you how happy I am that this year is off to a GREAT start for you and that you have a wonderful group of kids. It's so encouraging. It's an answered prayer honestly. I have a feeling that despite all the busyness and work that's ahead of you, you're gonna reap a ton of rewards from this year. With God's hand you've brought yourself to this point where you're going to be able to tackle all that's ahead of you, and thoroughly enjoy and thrive in it all together. I know you'll more than make it. Proud of you :)