Friday, November 25, 2011

thankfulness

As many of you know, yesterday was Thanksgiving, a holiday we celebrate only in the USA, unless of course there are expats who celebrate in other countries, which I assure you there are because I've talked to some of them. When I looked at plane tickets, I found some cheap ones but didn't buy them. The next day when I looked again to buy them they had already jacked up the price so I chose not to purchase them at that time. Instead, I went to my pastor's house for a great Thanksgiving meal that was enjoyed by many. Many of my friends from church were there, and we all had a great time. Plus my parents are coming down here next weekend anyhow, so I didn't really miss much by not going home, except the extended family which I plan on seeing at Christmastime.

If you ask me, gratefulness is one of the most attractive traits that a person can have. To be clear, I'm not talking about romantic attraction but rather just attractive traits that others possess. Similarly, ungratefulness is one of the least attractive traits a person can have. Recently, I read that one of the key steps to happiness is to be grateful. Lately, I have not been very grateful. Seems like I've been in a bit of a rut here lately with my spiritual life. Haven't been reading the Bible or praying that much. Of course, those are not the only parts of a person's spiritual life but they do help put the rest of one's life in proper perspective. Here's a list of things that I'm grateful for and need to remember more often when I get down in the dumps.

Family
Friends
Car
Passport
Opportunities to travel
A good job that I enjoy
My kindergarteners
My church
Opportunities for mission trips
Freedom
Democracy
Parents that brought me up in the faith as well as taught me how to handle money wisely
Being debt-free
The ability to live on much less than I make
Get-togethers with friends
My friends' kids
Freedom to worship freely
Friends who challenge me intellectually and spiritually
Good health
Stability, mental and with physical necessities
Jesus' sacrifice
God's love

There's some I'm sure I'm missing, but I think I got the majority of it. I went to the fair trade store today to buy my parents some presents for Christmas so I look forward to being able to give them those presents when they're here next weekend. Also, I picked up a cookbook for me, now if I could just have the discipline to actually use it. In my defense and as many of you know I'm sure, cooking for one person is really tough, unless you like a lot of leftovers for days on end. First world problem, as people have been saying on twitter and facebook lately. I don't have a twitter account but people have told me it's more popular on there than on facebook.

Well, I need to go write some thank-you notes to my supporters who allow me to work for the church and make an income by doing so. May you be grateful not just on Thanksgiving but also on every day of the year.

No comments: