The Best Christmas Yet!
Today was Christmas, 2013. I have spent the day at Steffani's parents' home, her grandparents' home and then caught a movie in the afternoon with some dear friends of ours. For me, though, I received the best gift of all last night. Allow me to explain.
Stef had told me she needed to kick me out of the house for a couple hours so she could finish working on my present. I decided to take the opportunity to invite her father to dinner. We had a wonderful dinner and I had one of the best steaks I've had in a long time. We talked about a variety of subjects, ranging from the government deficit to my plans for the new year.
After I talked about my plans for Myanmar in the new year, he asked where Stef fit into that picture. I laughed and he said, "Well, out with it." I responded by asking for permission for his daughter's hand in marriage. He talked about the importance of commitment and faithfulness and how he believes the man actually should sacrifice more in the relationship than the woman. I happen to agree with that if the man is supposed to love His wife as Christ loves the church. He talked for a while, to the point where I wondered if he was going to answer yes or no. At long last, he said I had his and his wife's blessing to ask their daughter for her hand in marriage. I said thank you and as a result received the best Christmas gift I've ever received.
We got back and before we came in the house I thanked him again and he gave me a handshake and a hug which I appreciated. He followed it up this morning during his prayer before opening presents by saying thanks for all his family and the newest member, if he plays his cards right. We all chuckled at that.
After we had been back at the house for a while last night and everyone else was watching the movie, I decided to pay Steffani a visit. I walked into her bedroom and informed her I had some good news and some bad news. She wanted me to start with the good news. Then I said to her, "Well, the good news is I had a really nice steak dinner with your father. The bad news is he said no." I somehow pulled off a straight face because she totally bought it. After I finished laughing and she had punched me in the gut I told her that he had really said yes in case she hadn't picked up on that yet.
Everyone exchanged gifts this morning and Stef's niece and nephew made quite a haul, which is how it should be. Stef's parents and siblings were quite generous and gave me some of my favorite gifts, money and gift cards. Stef made a really cool patchwork thing with an overlay of the world and gave me a few other presents as well. I gave her a Tissot watch and some other things as well. I gave her dad and brothers some knives I had picked up in Myanmar and her mom a shoulder bag I picked up there as well. I got her sister-in-law an amazon gift card and their kids just a couple of small items.
After we paid a visit to her grandparents' home and exchanged gifts with her extended family, we went and saw Anchorman 2 with our friends Matt and Elisha and his brother and sister-in-law. If you liked Anchorman you will love Anchorman 2 and we had a truly wonderful time at the theater with our friends. Tonight we went for a walk with her parents' 6 month old pup named Jojo downtown. He's a really good pup and made me wish my parents would get another dog.
While I was away from my own family for Christmas and did miss them a little bit, I have to say this was by far my favorite Christmas yet. I spent time with my future family and got permission to marry the woman of my dreams. Life certainly has its ups and downs and you can only count on change being the one consistent thing in your life outside of God. Right now, though, I feel like the luckiest man on the planet. Now it's just a matter of talking Stef into a pearl ring and we'll be on our way. If you're close to either of us try and keep November and December open as we're going to aim for a wedding date next year at Siesta Beach in Sarasota!
No comments:
Post a Comment