Saturday, July 26, 2014

Education Models, Part 2

I'm actually advocating for more difficult testing.  The problem would be that it takes longer to assess and analyze the types of testing I'm advocating for.  When I took a course in grad school (I definitely didn't finish it haha) they talked about how teachers in New York had done just that.  It was ultimately overturned though in favor of standardized tests so they could compare results across the state and across the nation.

How many times in your adult daily life are you asked to take a multiple choice test?  Does any profession require this outside of an initial assessment perhaps?  Most companies don't even do that, right?  Obviously, you're asked to perform certain duties and your performance is assessed by your superiors in some way.  I have yet to meet a professional who is assessed on a multiple choice test though.

As a professional, you're asked to execute, analyze and apply what you learned through previous research and/or experience.  You're required to add value to your company in some way.  We need to educate our students in a way where they can apply what they have learned to different scenarios.  Personally, I know teachers who are amazing at doing just that.  Their pay will not be determined by that this coming year; rather it will be based on how their students do on a standardized test.

From my limited experience as an elementary educator in the states, it seemed that many students had lost all interest in school by grade 5.  I would discuss with coworkers if it was just my students that seemed to lack motivation or what the problem was.  They would assure me many of their students had the same problems.  By the end of the year you hoped to have turned the tide for some of them but many of them had just given up already.

When I taught kindergarten the atmosphere had completely changed.  The kids were thrilled to be at school and learning new things each day.  What changed from age 5 to age 10?  Why were kids no longer interested in learning new things?  Undoubtedly, some teachers are way better at teaching 5th graders than I ever was and have a much higher percentage of their student population who are eager to be there.  However, I'm willing to bet even in the best teacher's 5th grade classroom there are some students who don't want to be there.  What happens to a child in school from age 5 to 10?

There are a myriad of reasons why 10 year olds don't have the same enthusiasm for learning as 5 year olds.  In middle and high school the problem becomes even worse as there is some ridiculous number of dropouts in our nation with the vast majority of them stating boredom was a key factor in their decision to leave high school.

In elementary school from 3rd to 5th grades, teachers and students alike dreaded the FCAT test.  That was Florida's version of the standardized test and determined how most of our school year was spent.  We spent significant chunks of time doing FCAT prep work.  There were workbooks devoted to preparing students to pass the FCAT tests in the spring.

Finally the test came and went.  Teachers and students alike were able to finally breathe better without the stress of a looming test that determined whether a third grader was going to be promoted or not, among other things.  That one test dictated our whole school calendar.  We would talk about how we could finally spend time teaching how we wanted to instead of constant test prep which we and our students despised.  An unfortunate side effect though was that many students and even parents for that matter thought the school year was essentially over after the FCAT test and as a result they didn't need to put in any more effort for the remainder of the year.


No comments: