Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Suicide From a Bipolar Perspective

A couple days ago, it was released that Robin Williams had passed away due to a suicide.  I looked up Wikipedia’s article on him to learn more about him.  They quoted a psychologist as saying it was well known that he struggled with bipolar disorder and depression.  Another way to say it is that he struggled with manic depression, and depression, but perhaps that just shows the redundancy of it?

Mental illness is a struggle for many within the Church and outside the Church.  Unfortunately, “48% of evangelical, fundamentalist, or born-again Christians agree prayer can overcome mental illness.  Fifty percent of those 18-29 years old say prayer and Bible study could overcome mental illness.  35% of all ages agree with the statement, “With just Bible study and prayer, ALONE, people with serious mental illness like depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia could overcome mental illness.”  (for more details go to http://blog.lifeway.com/newsroom/2013/09/17/half-of-evangelicals-believe-prayer-can-heal-mental-illness/ )

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at the age of 17 after a 2 week stint in the mental hospital with a severe case of mania that ultimately resulted in a temporary state of psychosis.  When I finally got better, I learned all I could about the disorder, much like anyone does when they’re diagnosed with something fairly significant.  My mom and I both came to the conclusion that Robin Williams had to be bipolar.  My psychologist disagreed but I always held to that.  His quick wit and comedy were like one constant episode of mania or what it at least felt like when I experienced mania.

With his suicide, it brought up a lot of stuff for me like it always does when someone famous or someone I might know kills themselves.  Self-doubts emerge, usually along the lines of, “What if I'm next?”  “That could be me someday.”  And other doubts along those same lines.

Then, and I have to say this happens a lot when discussing mental illness, well-meaning Christians end up doing quite a bit of damage when they try and help fellow believers.  We don’t want or need a cliché.  We don’t want or need to be told if we just prayed harder, believed more, had more faith, chose joy instead of depression or whatever the latest form of spirituality self-help may be during that time.  We don’t want or need you to pretend to understand something if you’ve never experienced it before.

We need your help in those times.  We need a listening ear as we try and figure out what’s going on.  We need a strong community that exudes the love of Christ and reminds us of who we are in Christ.  We need you to point us back to Jesus in the midst of our darkness.  We need you to lovingly confront us and tell us we need professional help when it is warranted.  We need you to stand by us and not give up on us no matter how difficult it becomes.  We need you to realize mental illness is very real and that it is multi-faceted and needs to be treated holistically.  We need you to realize we’re scared and telling us to pray more and have more faith isn’t helping.  Chances are we’re already praying a ton and already putting all our faith and trust in God. 

Can we please agree that sometimes God heals us and sometimes He assures us His grace is sufficient?  Can we please agree that sometimes depression is caused by spiritual reasons and sometimes it’s not?  Can we please agree that mental illness is complex and tricky and that we’ll all tread lightly, lovingly and gracefully when talking about the subject?  Thank you for listening.

No comments: