Monday, July 20, 2015

Prevention Rx

A couple weeks ago I received a mini magazine from my health insurance company for some reason.  It was a nice and unexpected surprise that it actually had quality articles that I could apply to everyday life.  There were several on retiring since they also offer financial services.  Those were a good reminder to save money now instead of waiting too long to begin.  There were also articles on how to be healthy in retirement.

For some reason health isn’t really something I think about for retirement.  It makes sense though.  Unless you’re the odd and highly skilled worker who can retire at age 30, you’re probably going to end up retiring in your 60’s sometime.  That is also a decade often associated with your body not functioning at as high a level as most people like.  It even feels that way at age 33 for me now sometimes, particularly a few weeks ago when I was a camp counselor for middle schoolers.

The article that was most helpful talked about making a prevention prescription now to help with your health in retirement.  My health, in particular cardio and strength training, is something I am quick to neglect.  Sometimes it just happens, right?  Other things come along and distract me from what I need to do to keep myself physically fit.

My dad has worked out 5 days a week for as long as I can remember.  Monday through Friday, first thing in the morning before work he has ridden an exercise bike and more recently switched it up with an elliptical on some days and strength training.  Several years ago, I was exercising on a consistent basis when I was doing sprint triathlons.

Over the course of time though, I just kind of stopped.  It wasn’t intentional, bad habits rarely are, it just sort of happened.  Exercise is quick to be put on the back burner for me.  I don’t tend to place as much value on it as I should.  

This article was a wake up call.  If I don’t make a habit of exercising now, it will cost me in the long run.  So, I’ve decided to make a prevention prescription for myself.

For starters, I plan on doing the following…

  • Exercise 3 times per week.  
    • I’m starting with just a basic 20 minutes of cardio as I can’t quite face strength training yet.  There’s a really nice gym on campus with a couple of stationary bikes, treadmills and an elliptical.  I was running outside for a while but the heat is too much for me right now.
  • Cut down on sugar intake, in particular soda.  
    • For some reason this has proved way more difficult to give up than I had anticipated.  Some weeks are better than others to be sure.

That’s my prevention prescription for now.  I may add to it in the future, but it’s going to have to be pretty basic at first for me to have any chance at sticking with it.  What does your prevention prescription look like?

No comments: