Thursday, December 31, 2015

1 Year of Marriage

Today marks Steffani and I’s first year anniversary.  One year ago we were on Siesta Key beach in Sarasota, FL about to get hitched.  It’s hard to believe it’s already been one year.  The year has truly flown by.

Gratefully, we’re still in love.  It used to confuse me when people would say they’re more in love with their spouse than when they first got married but now I get it.  Marriage is truly a gift from God.  The longer you’re with someone, the more you get to know them and hopefully appreciate different aspects of them.

After today, we’ll no longer be newlyweds.  That’s kind of sad to think about in a way because it was always fun to tell people we’re newlyweds.  But I definitely look forward to the next 50 or so years of marriage with my beautiful bride.  She is the best person I could’ve picked to spend the rest of my life with; something that is affirmed on an almost daily basis as I admire the godly woman that I’ve been blessed with.

She’s everything I’ve dreamed of and more.  For a long time I was single and prayed that God would take away my desire for a woman.  Thankfully He listened to Grandma and Steffani instead of my own foolish prayers.  Singleness was a wonderful season in my life; but as I wrote in my anniversary card to my wife, marriage has proved to be better than singleness ever was.  Why did I wait so long to get married again?  :)

We’re still in the lovey dovey stage I suppose.  It’s been a wonderful blessing that we haven’t gone through what some friends warned me about that the first year is the worst.  If anything it has been the best for Steffani and me.  Maybe I’m sounding cheesy there but that’s okay, she deserves to be honored in my blog posts every once in awhile, right?

She truly means the world to me.  I didn’t know I could love someone as much as I love my wife.  It’s a deep love, one that has been built over many years of friendship.  We have known each other for 10 and a half years at this point; it took me a while to pull the trigger needless to say.

So for all you men out there who never want to get married, give it a second thought at the very least.  Singleness is wonderful and I wouldn’t trade that season for anything, but don’t completely close off the possibility for so long like I did.  Marriage is a gift from the Lord, and we should accept it as such if we’re called to.  Some people are called to a life of singleness and that’s inspiring, thankfully God showed me He had different plans for my life.

Here’s to another 50 years, Steffani!

No comments: