Everyone knows the cliche ‘Happy Wife, Happy Life’ so I decided to play on that knowledge for this blog. I’ve only been married for a year and a half so this entry may be way off base. The longer I’m married the more I realize I truly have such a small amount of experience compared to most others my age. I didn’t get married until I was 32 and my wife was 30 whereas many of my friends got married in their early to mid 20’s. What can I say? I was a late, very resistant bloomer :) Thankfully, Steffani was still there when I finally woke up to the fact that marriage is a good thing from God. Now I just need to realize the same thing about children, but not yet :)
Anyway, I married a beautiful woman, definitely out of my league. I like to introduce her as my better two-thirds. A friend of mine told me that when I introduced her as my better half and I loved it so much I made it my own. Steffani is an incredible woman, more than I could have hoped for.
She’s beautiful inside and out, which can be a rare combination these days. Life certainly isn’t easy, but it is beautiful. The fact that God blessed me with her is one of the primary reasons life is beautiful. Having someone to share life with is beautiful. I enjoyed my single days in my 20’s to the fullest possible potential. But I do have to admit I enjoy being married more. Those of you who knew me in those single days are probably chuckling as you read that last statement.
For about a decade I was convinced marriage was the worst possible idea and was the equivalent of having an anchor tied to your feet constantly. I’m happy to report that rarely do I feel that way now. Sometimes I miss the freedom associated with singleness but those times are greatly outweighed by the joy I have in marriage.
I don’t believe Steffani ‘completes me’ by the way, for whatever that’s worth. I think the best marriages are when both people are ‘whole’ persons before the wedding day. Your spouse will never be your savior. Jesus alone is Savior, life just goes better when we remember that.
Please don’t be misled here. Steffani and I have our fair share of squabbles to be sure. We try to fight fairly but don’t always succeed. Has anyone else seen their own immaturity come out when they fight with their spouse, or is it just me? ;) One of the best lessons I’ve learned so far though is to apologize quickly and don’t wait for the other to apologize first.
We’re at a training for overseas missionaries right now and it’s incredibly valuable and will be a great resource for the field. There’s so much we wouldn’t have thought about on our own had we not gone through a training like this. Overseas living is just different and there’s a lot to think about going into it.
Thank God I waited until I was married before I went into missions full time. Many people go into missions full time as single people and do great at it. I don’t think I would have had a good chance at thriving if I went full time as a single person. It will still be very difficult for sure, but at least I’ll have a beautiful wife by my side. With her, life is and will continue to be beautiful, no matter how hard it gets.
No comments:
Post a Comment