1 min read
Quite some time ago, I was convinced and would tell everyone who would listen I was never going to get married. I had run the cost benefit analysis and found marriage to come up short. In other words, I didn’t see the return on investment (ROI) being worth it.
Thankfully, God knew better and answered Steffani’s prayers ahead of my own. He knew that there are many things in life that have a completely different type of ROI.
Marriage and love are a perfect example. How does one measure love? It is something that simply cannot be measured. Therefore, in a sense, the ROI is ‘off the charts.’
Sometimes my math brain gets in the way of experiencing things that truly are the best parts of life. I married Steffani, but not until after 10 years of wrestling with God about not wanting to get married because I thought I knew best. I had done the math, wasn’t He aware of that? Marriage wasn’t worth it.
As has been the case with many things before and since, I was dead wrong about that. Marriage is a wonderful gift from God, no matter what our culture says about it. Some things are timeless, and marriage is one of those things.
At times it can be hard work to be sure, but in the end it’s worth it. Someone I can share the rest of my life with? A lifelong companion to share victories and defeats with? Yes, please.
We do have our spats of course like any healthy marriage does. What matters most though is our commitment to God and to each other and to see things through to the end.
The ROI of marriage is indeed, incalculable.
No comments:
Post a Comment