On Stef and I’s walk tonight, I asked her if she knew what my dream car was. She responded she had no idea. I was surprised she didn’t respond with ‘Tesla’ because I have mad respect for Mr. Elon Musk and that company in particular.
However, if I had my ‘druthers’, I’d rather not have any car at all. Or, perhaps, if there were an affordable version of an autonomous car that might be okay. Ideally though, I could just call an autonomous car from my smart phone and use it as necessary.
I realize many people love having a car. To me though, it just seems like such a waste. Not just of money, but of general space. Apart from a yearly road trip vacation, how many people use their car any more than 5-10% (1-2.5 hrs) on a normal day?
Obviously, cars are very convenient, hence their popularity. That’s why I want one on demand. Like Uber, only in my little pueblo :) I think Uber is in the courts here in Spain anyway so I’m not sure that’s very likely to continue here.
We do have a service called Bla Bla Car here in Spain that is similar, but if I’m thinking future-wise and if we have kids, we’ll obviously need more room than most of those cars provide.
Some blogs I’ve read assure us that the very thing I’m describing is just around the corner. I certainly hope so. Just order a car when you need it, and then it’s utilized by others when you don’t. Convenience and not having to maintain it, yes please!
I did hear of one company several years ago that was only in big cities. It was an app or something where professionals who drove into the city would make their cars available for hire during the day when they were at work. Not sure if that caught on or if it is still a company but I could also go for something akin to that. At least then your car isn’t being completely wasted throughout the day.
It seems they already have this available in NYC and other big cities after a quick search. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to a small pueblo as well as with autonomous driving so I can stay out of wrecks!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment