Early on in our marriage, (and yes, I realize we are still early on), it occurred to me that I too had been influenced by Hollywood movies on the idea of marriage.
Most people accuse women of wanting everything to be perfect because of too many romantic comedies. While this certainly can be very true, men are just as guilty.
We watch action movies where men go into battle and do something to save their wife’s life. This often involves sacrificing one’s own life.
Shortly after we were married, I can remember sitting down in a chair in our Fort Myers apartment. I prayed for God to give me wisdom on how to serve my beautiful wife. I can remember it vividly because He immediately answered me. As I opened my eyes I saw a sink full of dishes that needed to be washed.
For some reason, I had expected God to answer me completely differently. I remember laughing at myself because I thought, “What did I expect for an answer? That I would need to jump in front of a bus to push her out of danger’s path?” A silly example, but one I’ve succumbed to more than once.
Service is most often found in the mundane tasks of day to day living like washing the dishes and other household chores. We’re not often called upon to jump in front of a bus or take out a gang of bad guys. 99% of the time that’s only found in movies.
Have you ever seen a movie about a guy who loves his wife by doing the dishes and other chores? Me neither. It’s not sexy at all and so it isn’t written for the big screen. But I dare say that’s how the greatest love stories are written, one act of service after another for 50+ years.
No comments:
Post a Comment