Seems like a scandalous title, doesn’t it? But Jesus called God Abba, which translates as Dad (at least according to sermons I’ve heard). It’s an intimate term for God, sounds almost too intimate.
As a new dad though I feel like I’m learning so much about our Father God. I take so much joy in my son and am so proud of him it’s impossible to put into words. How much more than does God feel that way about me? I’ve often viewed God as someone who keeps a record of my wrongs even though Scripture says exactly the opposite.
God is certainly using this phase of my life to teach me more about His character. That He cares for me even more than I care for my son and that’s so very humbling. He takes joy in me, which I’ve known intellectually but not on a heart level until now. It hasn’t ‘sunk in’ even after so many sermons about His love for us.
Now I realize God is a good, good Father as the song goes. God loves us as His children even more than we love our own children. That is so amazing to me at this point as I take so much joy in my son.
I love holding David on my chest and having him sleep on me. That’s a picture of how intimate our Father in heaven wants to be with us. So close we can hear His heartbeat. He holds us like that when we’re hurting and just need to cry. When we don’t know how to put one foot in front of the other He holds us close and tells us He’s there for us and that we can do this with His help. Nothing is impossible with Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment