Sunday, February 24, 2019

Let's put the 'fun' in fundraising

A co teacher of mine once had a poster that said, "Let's put the fun in dysfunctional."  I laugh every time I think of that poster.  It's applicable to just about every group of people, isn't it?  Doesn't matter if it's a family unit, a classroom or a workplace, there's bound to be some dysfunction going on at some level.  So you might as well put the fun in it.

My beautiful wife, baby boy and I are in a season of fundraising right now.  We've been reconnecting with old supporters as well as connecting with potential new supporters.  Many missionaries dread this and see it as a necessary evil.  I don't look at it like that.  I understand where the sentiment comes from of course.  However, the people who invest in your ministry whether through prayer or finances or both can become some of your closest friends if you invest your time into the relationship as well.

I've always tried to send a few emails to our supporters through the year in addition to regular updates through Mailchimp or Facebook.  I try and send ones for their or their kids' birthdays, anniversaries, as well as asking for prayer requests at different points.  It's a good way to stay connected and actually treat people as partners rather than simply someone who sends you a check each month.  I'm not perfect on that front but I'm more consistent than I have been in the past.  The prayer emails have been fewer since having a baby though so hopefully I can get back on track with that this year again.

Perspective matters in regards to fundraising, or partnership development, or support raising, or whatever else the current lingo is.  Some people view it as simply asking for handouts but I see it as so much more than that.  If you believe in what you are doing than why would you not want to invite others to be a part of that?  Furthermore, you get to reconnect with people you might otherwise not which makes partnership development a great way to reach out to people you've lost contact with.

I see this time as a great way to reconnect with old friends as most of our friends are also our partners in ministry.  We'll get to catch up over the last couple years in a way that isn't doable over the interwebs.  It will be difficult, basically everything in life is more difficult with a baby.  But I can't wait to introduce our partners and friends to my beautiful baby boy, who is currently screaming in the background.  He's a great baby and I know a lot of our friends are looking forward to seeing the baby of someone who used to swear up and down he would never be married much less have a baby.  I'm sure I'll hear more than a few 'I told you so's' and am looking forward to it actually.

Raising support is a roller coaster ride as sometimes you're greatly surprised at someone's gift and other times you're hurt by someone else's ignorant words.  So, it's important to try and enjoy it as much as possible.  Over this next month as we travel to Florida and then Illinois, I hope to be able to put the fun back in fundraising  :)  

No comments: