Life has been really good lately. We've visited almost all of our family and friends the past few months and have spent the last couple weeks getting settled down into life in Louisville.
A few years ago, a friend of mine told me "This is the best time of my life!" I couldn't relate to him at the time but I can now. I have an incredible wife, a beautiful baby boy, and I'm living my dream job. Things are really good now.
Hard times make the good times so much more worth it, don't they? They make them that much sweeter. I know when people think of Spain they think of where Americans go to vacation. For us though it was hard. We didn't have much of a community which is what makes life worth living no matter where you are. My plans for an entrepreneurship school over there fell flat on their face for various reasons. Our pueblo was incredibly isolating. We were an ocean away from family when we had our first child.
I'm not ignorant or naive enough to think we had it worse than others. Of course not. There are always people who have life worse off than you do. It was hard enough though that this time is much more appreciated than it might otherwise have been.
I truly love my life right now, and I'm incredibly grateful for it. I have a dear friend in Florida who always responds the same way when I ask how he's doing. "Just another day in paradise living the dream." He lives in Sarasota which is a beautiful location, but most people still wouldn't call it paradise or living the dream. It's more a state of mind, of counting your blessings and realizing just how much one has to be grateful for.
I lost sight of that for a while during this last chapter of life. I pray I can keep perspective the next time things get hard. May we all find times of respite and rest and purpose where we feel we're living the dream. It won't be all the time of course, but we can all hope for a few along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment