Before living overseas for a couple years in a very difficult area spiritually I was quite critical of the American church. To be sure, there's room for improvement and I think we need to have constructive criticism. Now when I look at the American church though, I see beauty I never realized was there all along.
For instance, the worship one generally finds here. It can vary wildly depending on the church to be sure, but just being able to worship in your native tongue is an act of grace and beauty that I find myself in on a weekly basis now.
I get emotional at times during worship, which is kind of ironic. Before I moved overseas, I didn't have much use for worship in the traditional sense of singing and music which is what I've been referring to. I just wanted a good and challenging sermon that kicked me in the butt and pointed me towards Christ and what He wanted to do through me. I was a crotchety old man in that regard even before the age of 30! God had to break me in order to show me what a gift singing to Him can be. We sang in church in Spain, but I usually didn't have lyrics so it made it rather difficult to keep my mind from wandering.
I've also enjoyed taking communion on a weekly basis again. That too depends on the church you normally attend, but I grew up in one that took it every week and find myself in another one that does the same. It might be my favorite part of every service, when I reflect on what Christ did for me and for the world. I repent and trust in faith that His blood washes me clean. Again, it's an act of grace and beauty on the part of God Himself.
If you've been following this blog for a long time, this entry may shock you as I've been hyper critical of the church in America in previous seasons of life. As I mentioned, there's always room for improvement, but in this season I'm enjoying her more than I have in a long time and I'm grateful to God for that gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment