Sunday, June 2, 2019

What I've been up to...

This past week I was in the Dominican Republic for 5 days.  It was an absolute blast but also really challenging.  One of our first businesses is really struggling to stay afloat.  I missed my wife and baby like crazy.  Overall though, my time down there was great.  I had some great meetings with a few guys who want to start businesses and that's why I took this job, to equip and empower people to start kingdom businesses.

This is so exciting, and I'm sure I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I truly love what I do now.  I've wanted to help start businesses ever since I served in Myanmar for 10 months over the course of 2 years.  And now, finally, I'm doing exactly that.

There was the restaurant, Pica, that I got to see all the progress they've made on that.  There was the GO store that is being moved and looks great in its new space off the back of the restaurant.  I met with a guy who wants to start a graphic design school for high school dropouts and also offer advanced certificates to professionals as a means to pay the bills.  I met with 2 chicken farmers who want to start their own chicken farm now.  All three of them just passed our church planting assessment and these are ways they can sustain the churches they're going to plant.

I'm beyond excited for this endeavor in the DR.  As I stated before, it's of course hard to be away from my family for 5 days each month.  What helps is that I love what I'm doing.  It's not going to a job I hate, it's going to a place and job I love.  I work from the home office the other three weeks of the month in Louisville, KY.  So, when I'm flying nowadays I'm either going to a part of my job I love or returning to the ones I love.  I'm incredibly grateful for this life I get to live and feel beyond blessed.  There are stresses and challenges in balancing both work and family but they are so very much worth it.

No comments: