Being the eternal optimist that I am, I always start every new year with goals for the year. I usually end up hitting anywhere between 50 and 75% of them which is usually satisfactory for me. Some years I have too many goals and can't keep track of them. This year might be one of those years.
The key to hitting goals and resolutions is consistency. This is why dieting is so hard for me. In certain areas I'm very consistent, eating not so much. I wondered aloud the other day to a friend why it is that I'm consistent in many areas of my life except food. He said that would be something to dive into possibly.
For instance, last year I set a goal of losing 25 pounds. By the end of 2019 I still had 26 to go, d'oh! It was 30 before I spent a week at my inlaws where I usually drop 5 pounds from being on their keto diet short term. I don't think keto is healthy long term though and I don't want to yo yo so I just stay away from it.
I need to do something different though. I've started intermittent fasting which is helpful for feeling like I'm in more control than usual as far as diet stuff. Now I need to remember what I eat during my eating window is just as important as not eating for the 16 hour window.
There are many books out there about self development that basically say the same thing. Habits, when repeated, compound and lead to big results, either for good or bad. We shape our habits, and then our habits shape us.
So, I'm trying to gain healthy habits in addition or alongside of weight loss. Without habits I'll just keep yo yoing like I have in the past.
Here's to seeing 2020 in the New Year ;)
The key to hitting goals and resolutions is consistency. This is why dieting is so hard for me. In certain areas I'm very consistent, eating not so much. I wondered aloud the other day to a friend why it is that I'm consistent in many areas of my life except food. He said that would be something to dive into possibly.
For instance, last year I set a goal of losing 25 pounds. By the end of 2019 I still had 26 to go, d'oh! It was 30 before I spent a week at my inlaws where I usually drop 5 pounds from being on their keto diet short term. I don't think keto is healthy long term though and I don't want to yo yo so I just stay away from it.
I need to do something different though. I've started intermittent fasting which is helpful for feeling like I'm in more control than usual as far as diet stuff. Now I need to remember what I eat during my eating window is just as important as not eating for the 16 hour window.
There are many books out there about self development that basically say the same thing. Habits, when repeated, compound and lead to big results, either for good or bad. We shape our habits, and then our habits shape us.
So, I'm trying to gain healthy habits in addition or alongside of weight loss. Without habits I'll just keep yo yoing like I have in the past.
Here's to seeing 2020 in the New Year ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment