Saturday, February 8, 2020

Failing Forward

I've been vlogging recently about trying to get healthy again.  The main part I find hardest is consistency.  This is necessary no matter what good habit you want to develop. 

Anyone can do well for a week or two, but to change your life it takes a lifetime of change.  That's quite intimidating but it's what we must focus on. 

How can you possibly change for a lifetime when you've been on the SAD (Standard American Diet) diet for your whole adult life basically?  One bite, one meal, one choice, one day at a time.  If health was easy everyone would be in good shape. 

A strong part of it is environmental factors.  Having lived overseas for some time, I've joked with others that as soon as I cross American airspace on my trip home my waist expands.  With fast food restaurants on every corner with unlimited free refills on soda is it any wonder we struggle with obesity as a nation??

Some would call that an excuse and that might be a fair assessment.  I do know it is easier to lose weight overseas and keep it off though simply because of the food culture you'll likely encounter.  Here it takes much more self discipline to say no to some truly toxic foods and lose weight and keep it off. 

So, when you fail when trying to change something as major as your diet and health, make sure to fail forward.  Don't give into shame as that will simply lead to giving up.  Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward, one bite at a time. 

No comments: