Well, I'm in Ecuador and have been for almost an entire week. So far it's going really well, my Spanish is improving and I'm making some really good friends. I lost my luggage the first couple of days and had to wear the same outfit but it's all part of the adventure I suppose :)
Next week I start working for the foundation/school for street children. I met the people I'll be working with yesterday and am really looking forward to it now. I would've worked this past week but the lady at the foundation said that new people were required to be in the country for at least 5 days. How being in the country for 5 days makes you safe from swine flu I'm not really sure, but I made it through the week unscathed all the same.
The family that I'm staying with is great. They have a son named Hugo who I played soccer with last night and a daughter named Vivianna who I haven't seen but twice since I've been here. The parents are really nice people as well even though we have a language barrier. I've been spoiled with all the good food that the mother has been cooking this week. Every day is something different for lunch and I've liked all of them so far. Her daughter translated today that I will make a good husband because I'm not a picky eater.
Now I have a whole new appreciation for my students back home who are ESOL students. Learning a new language is incredibly difficult as I'm figuring out lately. I have had two Spanish classes so far and still feel completely lost with the language, even after being immersed in it. It is getting better though and I need to remember that. My vocabulary is improving all the time...now if I could just get the different tenses correct that would really be something!
Today, Saturday, was especially a good day. I slept in till noon which is good to do after playing soccer the previous night for an hour and a half. Then I woke up, did my homework for my Spanish class, read from some different books, and watched a local soccer game with Hugo and some of his friends. It was a great Sabbath rest I must say.
Well, I think this might be one of my shortest posts ever but that's really all I have to say.
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment