Tonight I went to Barnes and Noble. Usually, at least one night out of the weekend, I used to go to Borders and then Siesta Key beach before I left on my big adventure. Unfortunately, Borders in Sarasota has now closed so I'm forced to go to Barnes and Noble. Barnes and Noble isn't necessarily bad, I just had a love affair of sorts with Borders that is now over. At least I got a lot of great deals during their last week of operations. There is something about a bookstore which has always entranced me. Looking over a wide selection of books, my mind grows numb as to the endless thoughts written in their pages and the endless possibilities to be inspired to try something new. Lately, I've also been into magazines a lot more for some reason. Over my 8 month adventure I read the Economist on an almost weekly basis to keep up with international news. My hostess was gracious enough to offer some airline miles to get a subscription to the Economist so now I just have to wait for that to start arriving, which they told me would be 6-12 weeks. 6-12 weeks? Why does it take so long I wonder.
I've always had a love for books, ever since I was little. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that my parents always placed an emphasis on getting a good education and undoubtedly read to me when I was an infant and toddler. Also, I see reading as a productive way to pass the time, you may not be producing anything necessarily but at least you're challenging yourself to think rather than just veg out and watch TV. Fiction has never held much appeal to me as an adult for some reason. If I can't gain any insight into how the world operates than I usually don't want anything to do with it. A variety of non-fiction books captivate my attention on an on-going basis. New ways of thinking intrigue me and call me to open my mind to different possibilities than the standard paradigms that I've grown accustomed to. It's fun to be challenged to think differently I think. Also, to help sharpen your intellect and reasoning capabilities.
In addition to books, I've picked up listening to podcasts on my trip and have kept that up since I've been home. Now I can just plug my iPhone into my stereo of my car thanks to a tape adapter (yes, my car is old enough that I still have a tape adapter) and listen to podcasts whenever I go anywhere.
The latest one today was a Dave Ramsey podcast where he discussed with listeners ideas on how they would remedy the deficit. There were some really interesting ideas that people shared and the vast majority weren't political which was really nice. The ideas definitely stimulated my thinking and gave me new ideas on how to balance the budget, not that it's up to me but it is interesting to discuss and think about. Everyone wants to balance the budget, as long as you don't cut the programs that are near and dear to them. Cut it from other parts of the budget, not my special interests. A few days ago I had read a couple of articles on Relevant magazine's website discussing a Christian view of the national budget. What was nice is that it presented both sides of the usual arguments; one arguing not to cut programs to the poor and the other arguing reform in most areas.
In a previous blog I mentioned how I'd like the Church to take the lead in taking care of the poor; but when churches open up $20 million campuses in the middle of a recession it doesn't make me think we have a lot of hope. I would love for churches to start businesses within their buildings and campuses. People need jobs right now and what if we, as the Church, stepped up and created tons of jobs for people? A while back I would spend time praying for everyone to get a job. That is obviously not going to happen, but I truly believe that if we're going to get back on the right track in job creation it's going to start with prayer. Now we just need Christians with business minds to take some risks, start businesses, and provide people with jobs; both here and abroad.
Well, that's all for now, I'm going to go read a little and then go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment