Thursday, March 14, 2013

roller coaster week

So, this week I've been all over the map as far as my emotions go.  Tuesday was probably the low point, as my previous blog shared about.  Early Wednesday morning, around 2-3am, I got to talk to my new friend from Switzerland.  She's a friend who I met through couchsurfing and we just really got along well and it was great to hear from her.  She's a ball of energy so I always get my spirits lifted when I talk to her.  Plus she's coming again in April for my birthday so I'm excited about that.  She will be visiting Florida for a month, then in August she goes to Australia for an exchange program for her school.  

For some reason I love being around people who travel more than I do.  For some people that might be difficult to imagine, but I do have a regular job and hence it slows me down way more than I would like.  Not that I don't love the job because I do, there are just times when I'd rather be traveling.  A couple years ago I took an around the world trip and was sharing with an old friend today how I miss it sometimes and would like to do it again.  When people ask me what I like to do for fun, I always answer with traveling and then when they ask what else it's like an auditorium full of crickets as I try and stumble to find other things I like to do for fun.  It would appear I need to find more fun things to do around here to help pass the time when I don't have the means to travel, like currently during my spring break.

Simultaneously, I have a desire to settle down, sort of.  I just mean with a woman, not necessarily settle down from traveling.  I have friends who have assured me that if I'm in a relationship then I can just travel with them.  I still have my doubts but am trying to see the light haha  I have a good friend at school who has literally traveled the world with her husband and so if I ever get settled down with a woman I'll definitely be asking her for travel tips of how to travel with a significant other.

Yesterday I was on a natural high from talking to my Swiss friend and thinking about traveling all day.  I also had talked to several other friends on facebook whom I haven't talked to in ages so that was really nice too. Today has kind of been an in between day.  I got to catch up with a dear friend for lunch and it was great to be able to catch up over the past few years.  She has recently lost her dad to a massive heart attack so we talked about anything else to keep her mind off it.  

After lunch and coming back to Sarasota, I was really tired from driving as I think one of my latest medications has a side effect of making you drowsy when you drive.  I used to be on a medication that did that as well, then I was on some that didn't have that effect, and now I'm on ones that have that effect again.  Pretty frustrating to say the least.  I laid down for what I wanted to be an hour, even set my watch alarm, but it ended up being 2.5 hours.  Guess I was more tired than I thought.  Like my roommate said though, I need more than a watch alarm.  Next time I'll set my big alarm, but even then sometimes it's not enough.

Also, I seem to be leaking money the past couple of days.  My birthday is coming up, so that always means it's time for car insurance and my taxes on my license plate that come up due, happy birthday to me.  Thankfully I had been setting aside money for the car insurance thing so it wasn't too bad, it's just that it's a fairly substantial amount of money to see go out of your account.  Thank God I have a job and can afford some of the everyday realities of owning a car and other bills.

Spring break is almost over already.  This year I decided not to go anywhere so it's been a fairly long week in some regards.  The past couple of days have picked up a little bit so that's good.  Now it's time to get back into a work mindset as I have some work to do for next week before we return.  Then, school will be over before we know it and I'm going to Haiti and Myanmar this summer so I'm stoked for those two trips.  Haiti will be with a group from church as well as some other people and Myanmar is just me going but I have a friend there who has started an entrepreneurship school that I'll be helping him with.  I'm really looking forward to both and know that God will use those times to stretch me as one of His children.

No comments: