Thursday, May 16, 2013

working out again

As mentioned briefly in my last blog post, I'm trying to make some changes in my everyday life.  One of those major life changes is starting to work out on a regular basis again.  This past week I've done really well with it, I've worked out 4 of the past 5 days this week so far.

Working out can often become boring to me, so I've tried to mix it up a lot this week.  Sunday, I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes, Monday I rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes and the elliptical for 15 minutes.  Tuesday I went to Miami so I didn't really get around to working out.  Yesterday I did yoga for an hour.  Today I joined a Masters swim class at a local pool and swam for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I felt really strong in the pool today for not having swam over the past 4-5 years or so.  Now I'm having some major muscle soreness but it's a hurts so good type of hurt.  It makes me know I really did something.  I forgot just how much I enjoy working out.  I don't enjoy lifting all that much, I don't see myself as ever really enjoying that.  Cardio on the other hand, that I can get excited about.  It's interesting how we're all wired a little differently.  Some people love cardio and some people love lifting.

It's good to be active again, hopefully now I can just keep it up, especially when I get back from my summer trips.  I'm usually not exactly active on my summer trips although I typically will walk a ton more than I usually do here.  As far as actual cardio goes though I normally don't do a whole lot when I'm overseas.  I always seem to lose weight when I'm overseas though, so that's a nice side effect.  My trainer said it's probably because they don't have as much processed junk overseas.

That's another thing I'm trying to change; getting rid of processed foods and getting rid of meat and dairy.  This week I'm focusing on working out and next week I'll try and add in one of the others.  It's proven too hard to do them all at once for me.  Some people have incredible will power, I am not one of those people.  I'm stubborn when I want to be, but my will power usually doesn't last very long.

All that to say, I hope everyone can get back into working out again if they haven't for a while.  Even a half hour a day can make a tremendous difference.  It helps me mentally a ton, even more so when I realize I haven't done it in a while and then the first time I workout I release those chemicals and feel heaps better overall.

No comments: