This is a little late. At first, I was considering writing a blog
with New Year’s Resolutions. It’s not
that I don’t have any. Rather, I read a
blog that said if you post them on a blog it has the same effect on the brain
as actually completing them somehow. So,
that’s out the window. This will have to
suffice for now I suppose.
The first lesson would have to be
that Jesus is enough. This past year was
fairly traumatic all the way around for me.
I resigned from teaching. I
started down a new path for a different career.
Looking back, it was a long time coming.
Back in April, I took a leave of absence for the remainder of the school
year due to severe depression. Through
it all though, Jesus has proved He is more than enough. It’s been a good reminder this year of
something I already knew. Now I just
know it on a deeper level.
The second lesson would be that sometimes
depression can really get the best of you no matter what do. Try as you might, sometimes it just won’t let
you go. Go to therapy, exercise, eat
healthy, meet with friends, do everything right, and it still sometimes can
take over. That is what I experienced in
the winter and spring of this past year.
Depression can be a really crippling thing. It can sap you of all your energy. You can sleep 14 hours a day and still end up
feeling tired somehow.
The third lesson is to do what you
love as a career. The past few years I’ve
felt a tug at first that turned into an outright tornado force of a pull
towards living full time overseas. I
have struggled with this decision for many years but it’s now time to go. Every summer I go overseas I am really happy,
so why wouldn’t I try that full time? I’m
sure the newness will wear off after a while as this is always inevitable. If I’m doing something that I find value in
though I think I will necessarily be better off as a result.
The fourth lesson is to trust in
Jesus. Just because you feel like you
finally found your calling doesn’t mean there won’t be any difficulties left in
your life. As a matter of fact, you may
face even more difficulty than before.
The hardest thing is the waiting.
When you know what you’re supposed to be doing and you still have to
wait for everything to fall into place can just be infuriating sometimes.
The fifth lesson is it’s not all
about me. When we planted the Creek
Church 5 years ago that is something we always told each other when we’d get
discouraged and couldn’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. I didn’t get it at all during that time. Slowly but surely I’m starting to understand,
in spite of my stubborn heart.
The sixth lesson is that love isn’t
a bad thing. I didn’t really date for a
decade and now I’m in a serious relationship with a beautiful woman named
Steffani. I couldn’t be happier and am
really glad I opened my heart up to her finally on a romantic basis. We tried to date before but I didn’t really
allow her in, if that makes sense to you.
The seventh lesson is follow
through. This is so difficult for me for
some reason. I start a ton of different
ideas and projects and almost never follow through it seems like. I have a feeling this will be an ongoing
struggle the rest of my life. Hopefully
Steffani will help me with this as we do life together.
The eighth lesson is to risk it
all. Jesus doesn’t call us to be
comfortable. We often lose sight of this
in the states. He calls us to get out of
our comfort zone, whether that’s helping a local ministry feed the homeless or
going halfway across the world to do something you believe in.
The ninth lesson is to not shy
away from confrontation. Confrontation
is healthy and needed. I sure do hate it
though, I can tell you that. I run away
from it more often than not, but that almost never works. It either produces bitterness in me or leads
to misunderstanding for the other party.
The tenth lesson is that family
and friends are treasures and should be treated as such. When you’re at your lowest, that shows you
who is a true friend. I consider my
friends down here and from my past to be more like my family. They always listen, always encourage, always
rebuke. I don’t know where I’d be
without them.
Well, ten seems like a natural
stopping point. I was going to stop at
seven but decided I had more in the tanks.
Maybe I’ll be able to sleep now, seeing as how it’s 11 after 4, yuck. Side note, 4/11 is my birthday, so that seems
like a lucky stopping point, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment