Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Bit Manicky

Yeah, that’s right, I just did that.  I was so impressed with myself the other day when I told Stef that I decided to use it in a blog title.  Some people complain at times of being a bit panicky.  While I do struggle with that sometimes as well, now is definitely not one of those times.  Right now I have a whole different set of problems on my hands.  You see, right now I’m a bit manicky.

What is manicky you may be asking yourself.  Well, allow me to try and explain it.  First off, you should probably note the spell checker is picking that word up so it’s probably not a real word.  Crazier things have happened, right?  I mean, if google can be turned into a verb than surely manicky can become a proper adjective, right?

Lately, I’ve got a fair amount going on in my life.  We’re putting the house on the market so I have all these little projects to do.  I have a 2 week orientation coming up in early February in Ft. Myers for the missions agency I’m going to be joining soon.  I will hopefully finally be leaving for Myanmar next month after said orientation.  I’m meeting Stef in Prague in April for a 10 day vacation.  Speaking of which, I’m missing Stef something terrible lately.  I have to find a place for all this leftover furniture.  I’ve got a spot for most of it but there is still a fair amount left to get rid of on Craig’s list or somewhere.

As a result, this has been a trigger as stress can often be for times of either mania or depression.  A trigger is just what it sounds like…it causes something else to happen.  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, right?  Well, not exactly in this case.  Usually you have a cause like stress or lack of sleep that results in an episode of mania or depression.  Then the equal reaction takes place usually afterwards, if you’re manic you get depressed and if you’re depressed you get manic(ky).

Honestly, mania can be a ton of fun.  Right now it’s just kind of annoying though.  I really want to sleep, but my brain simply won’t turn off.  I took what I deemed to be the necessary amount of meds and still nothing.  It’s now past 4:30 in the morning and I can assure you I show no signs of slowing down for a while yet.  I prayer-journaled, I’ve been downloading all my music and TV shows onto my iTunes account to prepare for the bad internet in Yangon and I just had to get a new hard drive due to anger issues.

If you’ve ever wanted to know what it’s like to feel manic, I suggest you go rent or buy the movie “Limitless” that stars Bradley Cooper.  It’s the best description of mania I’ve ever come across, without meaning to.  The main character basically gets on a wonder drug that unlocks his mind.  He suddenly sees everything different.  His mind works faster than anyone else’s.  He’s able to accomplish an incredible amount.  Okay, so that parts a little different from mania.  If you can focus your mania you can get a tremendous amount accomplished, but if you go too manic you can’t string together coherent thoughts and as a result start a ton of different projects without finishing any of them.


In case you were wondering, manicky is now a part of my dictionary for Word, oh yeah!  Who knew it was so easy to come up with a new word and make it feel official??  Well, take care of yourself and stay classy, Twitter and Facebook worlds.

No comments: