After several years of what felt
like floundering around trying to find any sense of direction, a friend told me
what he was planning on doing. He was
planning on starting an entrepreneurship school. He was going to teach people how to start and
run their own businesses. Something
clicked deep in my soul when he told me about this new endeavor.
My heart and mind said, “That’s
it!” That’s the answer to Tony’s
question! What if there’s no pond? Well, you teach locals how to dig. You teach them how to start their own
business. This past summer I went over
to Myanmar to learn about the school and help out where I could.
To put it succinctly, I fell in
love with the school. The expats I
worked with were genuine people who simply wanted to help. My friend proved to be a great leader and one
I could get behind. I came alive when I
taught business classes to Burmese youth in the area of marketing and
management.
Now, almost a year later, I’m
going back for a 6 month apprenticeship.
Within the next 5 years, I want to start my own entrepreneurship school
either in Haiti or Cuba. I’m not sure
how this is going to happen but I believe a good first step is to do an
apprenticeship under my friend. Simply
put, I couldn’t be more excited!
Simultaneously, my little heart
has been crushed over the past week with saying goodbyes. My parents sold our house in 2 days so it
came more suddenly than I had expected.
The closing date was set for roughly a month later. I came home to Illinois for a few weeks and
had to leave everyone else behind.
It’s supposed to be the easier
side of things, when you’re the one leaving and have something to look forward
to. This wasn’t the case in my most
recent experience. I had lived in
Sarasota for just over 9 years. When you
live somewhere for 9 years you tend to put down roots.
The past five years have been
especially rewarding when it came to church.
My best friend and now pastor planted a new church. It has been a wild ride but I’ve loved it all
for the most part.
Saying goodbyes to the people
whom I loved proved particularly difficult.
As I was reflecting with a young couple whom I adore I said that the
Creek had become like family to me. My
friend wisely remarked, “Well, it was church.”
It was church as it was meant to be, people living in community and
caring for one another.
I loved the Creek and always
will. It is time for me to move on. So, after many tear-filled goodbyes, I find
myself in a car going up to Chicago out of Springfield to help my brother move
into his own apartment in the city. In a
few weeks I head to Prague to visit my girlfriend who lives in Liberia.
I will miss Sarasota and all my
friends dearly. If I wasn’t called to go
somewhere new I wouldn’t go. In many ways
I was quite comfortable. I was miserable
at my job but there are certain creature comforts you grow accustomed to if you’re
not careful. The open road calls me
though. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit
call me. What can I do but answer that
call? After years of wrestling with God
over whether to go or not, I’ve finally surrendered. It turns out you don’t get very fall when you
try and wrestle with the One who created the universe.
No comments:
Post a Comment