Sunday, March 30, 2014

Thoughts on mega churches

For the past couple of Sundays, I have attended a mega church.  One was up south of Chicago and the other was here in Springfield.  It occurred to me today that my view of mega churches has completely changed over the past couple of years.

There was a time where I was very cynical about almost everything related to the Church and the people in it.  My friend challenged my thinking though when he said if someone talked about his bride the way we talk about Christ's bride he would be incredibly angry.

What I've come to realize is just about everyone who goes to church prefers their own size of church that they've grown accustomed to.  I like smaller ones about the size of 200 because that's what I've had in Sarasota for the past 5 years.  Other people prefer mega churches.

The difference in mega churches is simply a matter of scale.  Everything you do in a small church but on a larger scale.  This can make your jaw drop if you're not careful to remember it's the same just multiplied because of the size of the thing.

Looking back and looking forward, I realize I still have a long way to go in regard to overcoming cynicism.  Even if it's warranted it doesn't make it right to be cynical.  In fact, if anything it is most likely counter-productive.

As my old boss used to challenge us teachers, if you don't like something, offer up an alternative.  This was a great way to ward off probably 90% of complaints that myself and other teachers had.  It was a great leadership tactic to in my opinion.  He did some stuff as a leader I didn't agree with, but that was one that I always appreciated.

Instead of griping about how big a certain church is, think of what they can do with the resources at their disposal.  The preacher today shared the story of how a church in India challenged its poverty stricken members to just set aside a handful of rice every day for the church.  In one year's time, they had sold that rice and made $1.5 million and were able to send 1,800 missionaries out.

It was a great story and a testimony to what God can do with what we give Him.  The sermon was excellent today.  It was on my favorite topic, money and giving.  I've always loved this topic ever since high school and he did a great job addressing it today.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Okay, I'm getting a bit off topic here.  Today was a reminder to me that Jesus can be glorified no matter the circumstances.  Whether you're in a mega church in the states or in Korea or in a grass hut in Kenya, the Name of the Lord continues to be proclaimed and exalted.  And that is what truly matters.

No comments: