I am utterly at a loss of what to
do about many global problems, especially war.
There has to be a better way than bombing places and killing
civilians. What if we used our soldiers
to fight against problems in our own country and used all the resources we pour
into our military to fight some serious problems in the states?
There are so many people who
serve in our armed forces who are brilliant and I have to believe there’s a
better use of their mental capabilities than figuring out how to best kill our
enemies. We have so many problems at
home. Similarly, why am I living in
Myanmar when there are plenty of problems at home?
All I can say is I feel called to
overseas missions and have for quite some time.
The thing I’ve realized and that saddens me is that a lot of people who
say things along the lines of, “Well you should do more for people in your own
country” usually are the ones who do nothing themselves in our own country. Why is this?
If they’re so passionate about me serving stateside why don’t they do
the same?
How do you create freedom for
others? Ultimately, I believe Jesus
creates freedom for others. That’s what
we see in the New Testament. From the
time Jesus announced He had come to set the prisoners free to the time Paul was
in prison but was still free according to him, freedom is an underlying current
in all of Scripture and particularly in the New Testament.
Jesus is the creator of freedom,
and so we must introduce others to Him.
Be careful though. If you
introduce someone to Jesus there is a good chance they will watch your
behaviors more closely to see if you live what you claim as truth. Does knowing Jesus make us any different than
the world around us? Are we truly living
lives of freedom or something else? Are
we living for Christ or are we enslaved by the idols around us?
We mustn’t live in a state of
fear. People use fear all the time to
intimidate and ultimately enslave others.
It’s why we spend so much money on anti-terrorism and not on preventable
diseases like heart disease or other diseases that lead to many more deaths
than terrorism.
Furthermore, I think our
priorities as a Western society have dramatically gone off course. We seem to care more and become more outraged
by the mistreatment of animals than of humans.
Some giraffe was killed recently and there was outrage around the
Western world. Simultaneously there are
hundreds of people dying in Syria and South Sudan from war and thousands of
people are dying of starvation or preventable diseases. We seem to be more concerned with the
well-being of animals instead of humans.
How can this be?
Freedom is a tricky and slippery
concept. We view it differently
depending on where we were raised. We
also view it differently depending on how we were raised, what kind of
household our parents brought us up in. I view it in the lens of Jesus; other people
view it differently than that. One thing
I hold onto, freedom is created from the bottom up, not the top down.
No comments:
Post a Comment