This past Monday, we had a follow-up
session with some of our Scale students. Scale is our program for
existing businesses who want to scale their business to the next level.
When we work with Christian business owners specifically, which isn't all
the time due to the low percentage of Christians in this country and wanting to
use our school as an outreach tool, we talk about the kingdom impact of their
business.
Kingdom impact is a term used for how a
person's business will effectively spread the kingdom. It is a
revolutionary idea for our students and I would even argue for the business
world at large among Christian leaders. There has been a false dichotomy
purported for years that there is sacred and secular work. Thankfully
there is a movement afoot that is recognizing that simply isn't the case.
A Christian’s life at work is just as
important as their life on Sunday mornings.
Our whole lives are to be lived for the gospel, not just parts of our
lives. Business as Mission is a growing
movement among Christian business leaders focused on how to integrate faith and
work.
We asked these business owners what their
kingdom impact statements were and how they were doing at them. One of them shared that he’s got a sidecar
business where he repairs sidecars.
Sidecars are bicycles with a side car used to transport people around,
kind of like a cheap version of a taxi with pedal power. Anyway, he was able to use his business to
witness to a couple whom he described as friendly and open. After meeting with them a few times he shared
the gospel with them and they were later baptized after asking more
questions. Now they go to his church and
he is discipling them.
Another business owner shared how people
in his community are now much more open to hearing the gospel since he runs a
business that benefits the community. I
can’t remember exactly what his business was but I think he was a pastor. He said before no one would give him the time
of day but now he’s got a platform to share and the people are more receptive.
The third business owner was more focused
on kingdom impact as is traditionally thought of in the Christian business
world. She was giving more to her church
and able to tithe the profits there. Tithing
is good and we want to teach our fellow believers to do so but it can’t stop
there. She has 2 employees and is
expanding to 4 so my first thought was she has a great opportunity to disciple
them. Whether they are Christians or not
undoubtedly they can grow in their faith or take steps toward Jesus.
Monday was so encouraging to me for this
reason. I’ve heard kingdom impact talked
about and even heard some examples. It
was a great joy to hear actual people share their stories in person as opposed
to just examples. It really put some
flesh on the idea that I had heard so much about. This is what gets me excited and out of bed
in the morning.
I love what I’m doing in Myanmar. There are times where I get lonely, either
for my fiancé or friends and family.
Usually around those times something like this happens and reminds me
why I’m here. I’m here to empower people
to start businesses, and if they’re Christian business owners, to use their
businesses to help disciple others and obey the Great Commission. I can’t describe how excited this makes me
and how fulfilling this truly is; I think I’ve finally found my sweet spot.
One day, I want to start my own
entrepreneurship school in a developing country. I’d like to do this within 3-5 years. I just read the story of Joseph last night
and realized that sometimes God has different plans. It’s extremely difficult for me to end my
prayers like Jesus did in the garden, “Not my will but Your’s, Father.” Oh, how I struggle with that! I want to do what I want to do, but I need to
open myself to the Spirit’s leading.
If God allows me and empowers me to start
my own school someday I would be thrilled.
It would be the most difficult thing I’ve ever done to be sure but I
think it would be incredibly fulfilling.
If He chooses to take me another route though, that’s something I need
to accept and thrive in as well. May my
prayer always be, “Not my will, but Your’s Father.”
No comments:
Post a Comment