Recently, I’ve had to
change my expectations in a couple of different areas of my life. One being what I thought missionary life was
going to be like; and the other being what I thought about marriage. Allow me to break down what my expectations
were and how I’ve had to adjust them for you if you’ll indulge me for a little
while.
As far as missionary
life, I thought it was going to be an extended summer trip. Basically, I thought I would be on a high for
6 months so I was really looking forward to that. Apparently, God had other plans. Little did I know life overseas would be this
difficult. There have been times of
loneliness and much frustration at not understanding what anyone is saying.
Part of the reason for
these expectations is that I look at the past with rose-tinted glasses, as I’m
sure many others do. Sometimes we long
for what once was, without acknowledging that every season has its triumphs and
troubles. I can look back on previous
summers and think that I had a wonderful time without any trouble. If I force myself to try and remember a
little more clearly though, I can pull up some difficult times from every
summer.
I’m starting to realize
that every season is usually a combination of good and bad, not one or the
other. While I’m well aware that life
often feels like a roller coaster, I would also say there are often more than a
couple feelings going on within each of us as we go through each day. Balance can elude even the best of us, much
more those who struggle with a mood disorder.
What I’m learning is to
change my expectations for this apprenticeship.
While there will certainly be highs there will also be lows. I must be ready for both sides of the
coin. I must learn to place my trust in
Jesus as He takes me on this great adventure called life.
In the beginning of
this year my prayer was simply, “I do believe, help my unbelief.” It wasn’t original by any stretch of the
imagination; no, I got it directly from Scripture. God answered that prayer and continues to do
so. When I am weak, then He is strong.
The second thing that I’ve
had to change my expectations for is marriage.
In spite of friends and family always telling me marriage is very
difficult, I’ve never really believed that.
I’m reading The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller and it’s
teaching me just how difficult marriage will be and the why behind the difficulty.
This summer I’ve
realized I’m a very selfish person with my time. Many times I’d rather spend time alone than
with others. It’s a paradox,
really. On the one hand, I love being
around people and usually am energized by doing so. Simultaneously I like to spend a lot of my
time alone. Marriage will surely change
this for me. As my friend Ryan told me
the other day, “You know she’s still going to be there after the wedding night,
right?”
Marriage won’t be easy,
but in the same breath I have a few ideas as to how we can get through the
first year with a strong marriage. One
of those is just basic respect with each other and learning to fight
fairly. Since I’m 32, I’ve seen many
couple friends who simply don’t respect each other, and this seems to be
especially true during the first year of their marriages.
I told Stef we need to
promise one another that we will always be respectful toward each other and she
agreed. Hopefully that will give us a
leg up on the difficulties of marriage that are inherent in that close of a
relationship. I sincerely look forward
to marrying Stef, but I’m not looking forward to my selfishness being exposed
like never before.
If I know I’m selfish
going into this marriage, how much more will it reveal itself in the confines
of our relationship? As with any
character defect though, it is and will continue to be a learning process. We will need to surely be quick to forgive as
that seems to be a necessary ingredient to any healthy marriage.
No comments:
Post a Comment