Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Only Regret in Marriage

My only regret in marriage...catchy title, right?  ;)

I had lunch with a dear friend yesterday and he was asking me how married life was going.  I said it was wonderful and I really had only one regret; that I didn’t marry Steffani sooner.  Now, I’m sure I had some lessons to learn still but looking back, why did I wait so long to marry such a wonderful woman?

Well, there were several reasons.  A big one was that I had let culture dictate my view of marriage rather than let God and the Bible speak truth into my life about marriage.  I’m certainly new to this whole thing but I have to say it’s the best decision I ever made, next to following Christ of course.

Steffani is everything I hoped and dreamed for and more.  People used to criticize me and say my list of what I was looking for was way too long.  I sure am glad I didn’t listen to any of them.  Steffani fits all I was looking for and even beyond that.  

On Sunday at my parents’ church the preacher talked about how in Genesis some versions miss the meaning of the words in context when they translate ‘God made Adam a suitable helper.’  He joked that if he told someone his wife was ‘suitable’ she’d probably hit him in the gut.  A better understanding might be God made Adam someone who was a just right fit for him.

Steffani is that to me and I pray I’m that to her; a just right fit.  We have occasional arguments of course because we’re people who live together and that’s just part of it.  As long as we remember we’re on the same page though and that if one of us ‘wins’ an argument it makes the other a ‘loser’ then I know we’ll be fine.  

That woman means the world to me.  She chooses to see the best in me even though she knows and sees my flaws on a regular basis.  She makes me strive to be the better version of myself that she chooses to see more frequently even when I don’t see that better version.

Being married is just the best.  I realize that’s largely naivete speaking since we are still on the honeymoon after all; but I do enjoy it way more than I thought was ever possible.  I was single for a relatively long time; about a decade after college which is long for most people.  I had an incredible time as a single person and wouldn’t trade that time for the world.  But now I’m married and it’s even better than I could’ve hoped for.


I’m sure Steffani will read this and laugh at wherever I misplaced a ‘then’ or ‘than’ as she says I usually screw those up (try as I might not to though!) which she enjoys.  Maybe she should teach our kids (if she gets her way  ;) ) about proper grammar in the English language, right?   

No comments: