Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I'm Thankful For...

We’re almost upon that great American holiday known as Thanksgiving.  It’s always been one of my favorites...overeating and sharing your gratitude for others in your life, what could be better?  Truly though, as cliche as it is to say, an attitude of gratitude goes a long way toward making every day a little bit better.

Without further ado, I’m thankful for many things this year.  I’m thankful for Jesus; as a matter of fact I basically broke down in the middle of a church service a week and a half ago thinking on His great sacrifice.  It doesn’t happen very often that I just break down and cry like that but there is something cleansing about it, ya know?

In second place I’m obviously thankful for Steffani, my beautiful wife.  It is not good for man to be alone and it sure took me a long time to wake up to that realization.  Some people can be single for life and do a wonderful job serving the Lord in their singleness but it took me quite a while to figure out I wasn’t meant to be one of those people.  I loved my 20’s and being single, but marriage has fit me better I think.

Steffani is so wonderful.  One of the many things I love about her is that she just does stuff without needing praise or comments.  Me, on the other hand, I want a pat on the back if I do the smallest thing like picking up a towel or something silly.  It’s definitely an area I need to grow in, and as a result I really admire Steffani for all the stuff she does on a daily basis without having a need for any recognition.  

To be sure, I try and point out when I love something she has done, but I don’t do it nearly enough.  Thankfully she doesn’t require it every time she does something; otherwise half of the stuff she does wouldn’t get done.  She just really has a servant’s heart, and my life and everyone else’s life is enriched by it.  I have often prayed to be a servant and graciously God has gifted me with a woman who is a wonderful example of a servant.

I’m so grateful to be married to this wonderful woman whom I call my wife.  It’s also nice that we had a rock solid friendship before marriage.  This isn’t possible for everyone to have of course but I’m thankful we had the opportunity to build a friendship before we got married or even engaged for that matter.  Our friendship prior to dating probably lasted longer (okay, maybe much longer, right Honey?  ;) ) than Stef would’ve wanted, but we often comment on how nice it is to be married to your best friend.  I have other men in my life too who are best friends, but there’s obviously a difference when you’re romantically involved with a friend.

While there are stresses on a consistent basis in all our lives, let’s take time out on a regular basis to remember what we’re grateful for.  It’ll go a long way toward making our lives better or at least more manageable.

No comments: