Saturday, October 20, 2018

Letter to my Newborn Son


April 30th, 2018

Dear David Asher,

It is hard to describe just how much you mean to me already.  I love you more than I thought humanly possible, from the moment you were born.  I would do anything for you. I would lay down my life gladly if it meant I could save your’s.

That may sound dramatic, but that’s the point.  Having you is an incredible new adventure. I have so much to learn at this point about how to best raise you.

One thing I can assure you of is that I will always be here, pointing you towards Christ to the best of my abilities.  I will surely screw up as a dad and not know how to best parent you at times. But I promise I will try my best and be quick to ask for forgiveness when I sin against God and against you.

You are so very special to me.  This first week I’ve just spent caring for you, learning about you, oohing and aahing and telling everyone who will listen just how proud I am of you.  You truly mean the world to me. I can see my reflection in your eyes when I’m staring into your beautiful eyes.

These are the best days of your mom and I’s lives.  I know sometimes you throw a fit and get fussy and cry and wail, but the joy I have for you far outweighs that.  You have slept on my chest several times and it’s something I will always cherish.

Your arrival was with great anticipation.  Your mom wanted you for years before I even thought about it.  She was right though; my love only grew for her and there was enough love that just expanded right over into my love for you.

We laugh with each other as we just keep saying how precious you are.  It reminds us of “Lord of the Rings” which will be a classic by the time you read this.  You are incredibly precious to us and we would do anything to protect you from harm. I would gladly start a prison ministry from behind bars if that’s what it would require.

You mean so much to me, it’s hard to explain.  Seeing you is like seeing the face of God. We are created in His image, son, and it is my hope and desire to lead you to His Son.  As much as I love you His love for you somehow runs even deeper.

Your mom is an incredible woman of faith who I adore more every day and will continue to do so even after you have left the house.  She cares for you just as much if not more than I do; she carried you in her body after all for 9 months prior to me getting to meet you.

You will grow up learning 2 languages, and that is a privilege and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.  It is my hope that you see more facets of Christ from knowing 2 languages intimately. It will give you more expressions and ways of knowing Him on a more intimate level ideally.

I will do my best to provide you with a joy filled childhood and young adulthood, okay buddy?  I’m not going to be perfect like I said before, but I do believe we will have incredible adventures together and experience so much wonder in this world together.  You mean the world to me.

Already you are exploring.  After feeding you are alert and so curious about what’s around you.  I love seeing that part of you. You’re just checking out what’s going on around you, content to be in your daddy’s arms and burping on occasion.

When I hold you tight my heart bursts with pride and love for you.  I want to show you off to the world I’m so proud of you. You smiled at mom this morning and I hope I get to see that soon.

I will always be here for you.  Life isn’t easy, but you can count on your mom and dad always being here for you, no matter what.  Truth be told I wasn’t ready for you when you came, but I’m so glad your mom talked me into having you.  I had a feeling it was going to be like marriage; something I wasn’t really looking forward to but turned out to be the best thing ever.  And, thankfully the same truth was found in you.

Your dad is a sensitive man, and I pray I will raise you to be sensitive to the needs of others as well.  I’m a crier, son, and I pray He gives you the gift of tears as well. Many people just want their kids to be happy but that’s not what I want for you.  I want you to live a life of significance.

Your Daddy,
Justin David Hemming

No comments: