Months ago I told a friend “We’re still figuring out this parenting thing.” Then I quickly realized that is most likely a never ending process. He laughed and affirmed it by adding he’s still figuring that out and one of his kids is 30.
Just when I/we think we have our little guy figured out, he throws us a curveball. Don’t get me wrong, right now is a very sweet time as he smiles a lot and laughs too (I’m hoping he ends up with a laugh like mine :) )
Sometimes it’s just frustrating when you can’t figure out why he’s crying or fussy, ya know? Most recently it was bc he was cutting his first tooth. As a friend once told me, “I’d cry too if I had something cutting through my gums!” Amen to that brother. You just wish you could make the pain go away as a parent though, don’t you?
I’m learning a ton about being a dad as I go. And honestly, I’m learning a lot about life too. Lately he’s been struggling as he’s trying to figure out this crawling deal. He can get up on all fours but can’t quite figure out how to get forward motion yet. He tries and tries, I put my hand behind him to give him some stability, but he just can’t get it yet.
The crazy thing is he keeps trying. There’s a great life lesson in there. We’ve all heard the saying, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” It’s amazing to watch him as he tries and tries and gets frustrated but then picks it up again later that day or the next.
Many people say, “Enjoy the process” when it comes to life. I understand that a lot more now and am starting to finally ‘get it.’ Parenting is hard work and if you don’t enjoy the process you’ll just end up miserable and miss out on the joy God has for you during this phase of life.
So, while sometimes I think about what he’s going to be like when he’s older, most times I just try to enjoy where he’s at right now. To be fair, it’s relatively easy right now since he’s smiling at us a lot and laughing on a regular occasion.
I know when he hits toddler stage it will be harder to enjoy the process but hopefully I can get in the practice now to remember to do so then. He’ll be there before we know it, I can’t believe he’s 6 months old already. My mom asked me months ago if I could believe he was already 7 weeks old. I responded I couldn’t believe he wasn’t 2 years old already with how long the days felt.
Now though the time is flying by and as I said I’m focusing my attention on enjoying the process of raising him and watching him grow. And my how that boy does grow. He certainly likes his groceries! People here can’t believe how big our boy is for only 6 months and I believe at his 4 month weigh in he was in the 90th percentile! Not looking forward to that grocery bill when he gets older!
He’s a true joy right now, and so is watching Stef with him. She’s an incredible wife and mom and it’s fun watching her dote on him. The only problem is now he gets way more kisses than I do lol Can’t blame her though, I can’t resist that kid’s cheeks either :)
What about you? Are you ‘enjoying the process’ in whatever life stage you’re in?
No comments:
Post a Comment