Sunday, May 31, 2020

#BlackLivesMatter and My Silence

It has happened again.  More unarmed black people have been murdered and it's been in the news again.  Last time it happened I thought I should just stay silent on the issue since I'm a missionary and am not supposed to post anything political according to some fundraising books.  However, unjust murders aren't really a political thing so much as a biblical thing as someone reminded me lately.  Honestly though, many 'political issues' are 'biblical issues' we just don't choose to see them that way.  But that's for another post some other day.

I have seen people lament that 'they (meaning black people) should protest peacefully.'  Yet when NFL players protested peacefully by kneeling for the national anthem that wasn't the 'right' way to protest peacefully.  Huh?  Yeah, I'm confused too.  We (white people) say if there are protests than they need to be peaceful but yet when people do protest peacefully we're not satisfied with that either.  

I had a conversation with someone a few years ago about the kneeling in particular and pointed out that it was in reaction to a black man being murdered by a cop.  They acknowledged that case had been wrong clearly for about a minute and then spent the next 10 minutes describing why kneeling for the national anthem was so terrible.  Apparently ideologies are more important than people's lives nowadays.

I feel paralyzed at what I could possibly do to help the situation.  I can share social media posts and blog about it, but beyond that I'm not sure.  I suggested to my wife that we start attending a black church even though we really like our current church.  If we're serious about race reconciliation as a nation then it has to start in our own hearts and lives.

We've made friends with immigrants here who have since moved and loved them to pieces.  My wife and I both have a heart for the immigrants among us but perhaps we need to spend more time initiating relationships with people of any color that are born here too.

I went jogging again last night without the slightest hint of any fear of being gunned down.  That is something I will literally never have to worry about.  Why can't the same be said of everyone?  Why should people of another race have to think twice before lacing up to go out for a jog?

Years ago I read a quote that really resonated with me.  "The purpose of freedom is to create it for others."  Don't ask me who said it because I don't remember and it seems like a quote that is probably attributed to several people.  You know the problem with that quote though?  I've done nothing to create freedom for others.  And so, my silence as a white man of privilege is complicity with a system that is unjust to so many people of color.

It's sad to think I've been worried about my own support levels going down as I've written this.  Lord, forgive me for putting others' opinions ahead of doing what's right.  

So, what's the next step here?  Any suggestions?  I'm going to start by praying for new friends who are people of color.  People who I can come alongside and learn from their perspective and help in whatever little way I might be able to.  Mostly though I just want to listen and empower.  That's what I feel is my role as a missionary in the Dominican Republic is to listen and empower by helping provide jobs down there and my role just as a Christian period.  Listen and empower others to do whatever they want to do that honors God.

No comments: