Lately, I've been trying to face a few of my issues in life head on. I want to do this so I can be ready to date in a healthy, God-honoring way instead of my previous attempts which have not gone so well nor looked so Christ-like as I would have liked them to. It's hard work though, and it's a long road ahead so it's easy to get discouraged. Some things I simply can't change, like the fact that I'm bipolar. There are other things that I'm trying to work through though, one of which I'll share later.
There's a new movie out called "Silver Linings Playbook" that someone told me is about a bipolar guy who gets into a relationship. I checked out a trailer to see if I could get the gist of it and it definitely looks like a chick flick, but I still am interested due to the nature of the film being about someone who has a mental illness. What's ironic is the main character also starred in the movie "Limitless" which I remember seeing at the dollar theater and commenting to a friend that it was a dead-on depiction of what a state of severe mania feels exactly like. Luckily for me, I've never really struggled with the intense feelings of anger that the character in the new movie looks like he struggles with or that I've heard many bipolar people struggle with. Many of my friends reassure me that everyone has their baggage of course, and I know that's true, but it just seems like a different level when talking about a mental illness. It didn't help when I took psych 101 in college and learned bipolar was under the same heading as schizophrenia, that is, under abnormal psychology. Although for the majority of the time I handle it extremely well, there are those times when it gets a little out of control and I really would hate for someone to have to deal with me during those times. I tried dating a girl last year when I was in a state of minor depression and that failed miserably.
One of the issues I've been trying to work on lately is my weight. I can and usually do fluctuate so wildly within a given year it just seems outrageous. For instance, this past year I dropped 25 pounds, after which, in the same year mind you, I gained 24 pounds back. Ugh, I hate that. Now I'm back up to the fattest I've ever been, and it's time for a permanent change. So I did the obvious thing and bought a diet book. When I was in the bookstore in the diet section, I made a comment to another patron that we live in a pretty messed up world when there are countless books on dieting in a wealthy country when there are almost a billion people going to bed hungry every night.
The first part of this past week went much better than the last part of the week in regards to trying to incorporate some new dieting principles in my life. Baby steps, right? I was able to run 2 miles straight which had to be the first time I've done that in I don't know how many years. It's a start though, to be sure. If you want to be skinny, ask skinny people what they do. So, my fellow friends who are skinny, what are your suggestions?
1 comment:
Hi Justin, I’m following your blog since New Year. And I have a couple words for you (maybe a lil’more than couple :) on dating and losing weight.
I was battling my weight all my life. I’ve read every diet book, tried every exercise routine. And even when I got my goal weight, I was still unhappy. I have two daughters. One of my girls is skinny and another one has “meat on her bones”. Couple years ago I noticed they become self-concise looking at each other. I knew as mother I had to do something to keep their self-esteem up. So I come up with “HH” concept, which stands for Happy and Healthy. We stopped using numbers and tags (skinny fat etc.). We talked about making Healthy food choices and if sometimes extra candy or cookie makes you Happy you can have it just follow by Healthy choice like extra mile around the block. It took pressure and most important guilt of occasional weakness. Guilt is very powerful feeling and can throw you of the track. Staying fit isn’t one time deal. It’s life time commitment (like marriage :) So you need to come up with healthy routine for life. When you are consuming something what makes you feel “Happy” think how (when and for how long) you are going to make it “Healthy” And DO IT! As long as your body is healthy and your soul is happy that’s all what matters. So with my girls I learn to accept myself just the way God made me as long as I’m healthy and happy. And I’m.
Now about dating. It’s gonna be short. Would you consider dating woman with child? It’s just a thought, but it seems to me woman with child isn’t just looking for significant other; she is looking for father for her child too. Therefore, she would take time to know you better; she is not gonna pressure you into marriage. Most likely she has head on her shoulders and has experience of coexisting with another human being and “his baggage”. And last, but not least you are teacher so you should have no problems connecting with her kid.
I hope I didn’t cross the line with my advices. I wish you the best.
Post a Comment