Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Goals/New Directions

Right now, there are so many things I want to do.  I have some big dreams and goals, but they will inevitably have to take a back seat to this oncoming depression unless I can magically snap out of it somehow.  I want to write a kids' book and have started doing so.  It's actually a series entitled "Adventures with Mr. Hemming" where I take the kids to different places I've been in the form of narrative.  I want to start an entrepreneurship school one fine day, or at least teach at one.  The problem with that one is of course that I'm not exactly an entrepreneur.  Then again, every entrepreneur has to start somewhere, right?  I'd either like to start an entrepreneurship school or a business in a developing nation some fine day.

I bought a book by Jon Acuff entitled 'Start' that was a great read and has things in the back to help you get started down the road to starting on your different dreams.  Right now I'm doing a 72 hour audit.  You can probably guess which part I'm most disappointed in.  Yep, the parts where I'll sleep for an hour here or three hours there.  At least right now I'm practicing some form of writing in the form of these couple of blog entries.  I've even made the audacious prayer for a business idea to start.  I don't know what that would look like since I am hoping to move to Liberia in January, but it doesn't hurt to ask God in prayer.

In many times in the past when I share these things with people they say I'm a dreamer or at the very least idealistic.  Frankly, I like being idealistic and think we need more idealistic people in the world to keep moving forward.  Being a dreamer isn't necessarily a bad thing either as long as you put one foot in front of the other on your dreams.  What I really need now is a stop-gap job, one to just pay the bills and give me some structure.

Yesterday, I interviewed at a local steakhouse for a job so I hope to hear back from them soon.  Tomorrow I plan on getting back out there again and hitting the job application trail.  Last night I spent sometime on Facebook and LinkedIn trying to network my way to a job.  With season coming up there should be plenty of waiting jobs turn up I just need something sooner rather than later.

No comments: