Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weight and the desire to change

My weight has only really been an issue as of the past 5 years or so I'd say.  It seems like you just pile on a few pounds every year and before you know it you're what some might call husky.  I love to eat, I always have for as long as I can remember.  There's nothing wrong with eating to be sure, just as long as it's in moderation, especially when it comes to sweets that I just love.

My weight, along with many other things, doesn't define me.  I do however believe that everything God has given us is a gift and He expects us to steward that well.  I don't believe it states that clearly in the Bible; some might argue your body is a living sacrifice and all that but that is kind of missing the point of that passage.  It does state that we're not to be gluttons though.  If an ancient Jew were to watch a modern-day American eat a typical meal, they would for sure think we were gluttons.

We justify our overeating saying we're stressed and we deserve it.  We had a long day at work, surely a bowl of ice cream a night wouldn't harm us too much, right?  I remember growing up I had a bowl of ice cream every night it seemed like; and half a bag of chips and salsa after school to go on top of that.  I would even argue that's okay for a teenager, maybe not those exact foods but you are growing like crazy.  The problem is that when you're no longer a teenager and no longer growing but keep eating like you are.

Back in the spring, I was watching quite a few food documentaries on Netflix.  I need to watch those again as they really made me rethink what I was eating all the time.  I've neglected to do so because I don't want to be convicted on how much or what I'm eating, even though I know it would be good for me.

I have an app on my phone called 'My Fitness Pal' that does a great job at counting calories to where you are made to be much more aware of what you're actually consuming on a daily basis.  The only problem is I find myself not using it on the weekends when I'm tempted to eat much worse and more unhealthy than usual.

Thankfully, I'm a generally enthusiastic person who believes that change can come, it just comes at a price.  I have hope that I can turn this around, it'll just be a matter of time and staying true to some basic principles.  Giving up soda is probably the hardest one for me.  I remember reading though that drinking diet had no better effect in weight loss than regular soda, so I need to cut that crap out of my diet too to be sure.

I'm really tired of carrying an extra intertube of weight so to speak.  So, it's time to change my diet and lifestyle.  The problem is that it has to be a lifestyle change, otherwise it won't last.  

What helps you lose weight?  More importantly, what helps you keep it off?  How do you keep from getting discouraged?

No comments: