For the
past almost year now, I've been in a state of limbo. In April of last
year, I took a leave of absence from my day job due to health reasons. In
June I went to Myanmar for 3 months to volunteer at an entrepreneurship
school. In September I got back and had
to make a decision as to whether or not I was going to go back to my regular
job as a teacher.
At the
time, I had planned and was sure I was going to Liberia to be with my
girlfriend. I was so sure that Samaritan’s
Purse would hire me on as an intern to work there so I could be with Stef. Well, the general internship turned into an
accounting internship. They obviously
wanted someone with an accounting degree or at least something along those
lines, not an elementary education degree.
Needless to
say, that fell through. My world was
rocked. What was I supposed to do
now? My girlfriend was coming home soon
so I didn’t want to get a job and not be able to see her while she was here
since we hadn’t seen each other in 6 months.
After much
prayer and waiting upon the Lord, I decided to do a 6 month apprenticeship in
Myanmar. It was a natural fit
really. Now, I’m starting to raise
support and build a team around me so I can head back over there. Stef has started looking at possible jobs
over there too so she can go over there after her contract ends.
I told Stef
a while back it just seemed like I was coming to God asking the world. She reminded me that God is able to do
immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.
I plan on marrying her on New Year’s Eve, even though I haven’t
technically proposed yet.
There is
just so much up in the air right now. I
tried to sub back in the fall but my principal but a hold on my application for
some reason. As soon as I get back to
Sarasota I’m going to try to meet with him to have that lifted so I can sub
while I try to finish raising support.
In the meantime, I have to raise a little over $12,000 to finish out my
support raising.
That’s an
intimidating number to me for some reason.
I know many missionaries have to raise much more than that but that’s a
pretty big number for me at this point.
I’ve done it all wrong in the past and not kept up with supporters very
well. Now I’m going with a really good
organization and they’ll do a great job at keeping me accountable to staying in
touch with supporters.
My parents
were able to sell the house they owned in Sarasota, so as of March 21st
I’m not sure what I’m going to do for a living situation if I’m not already in
Myanmar by then. I have friends I could
stay with I’m sure but I don’t really want to impose on them.
Did I
mention my car was totaled and now I’m without transportation? I’ve already spent close to $500 on a rental
and don’t want to do that anymore. I put
out a thing on facebook in my church’s group page to ask if anyone had a car
just lying around but unfortunately no one did.
Maybe I’ll make a status update about it on facebook for anyone in SRQ
or Bradenton.
It just
feels like I have a lot up in the air right now. Like I said before, I’m ready to land. My dad pointed that out to me a while back by
the way. I was expressing my frustration
with my lack of direction and he said it just seemed like I had a difficult
time finding a place to land after my round the world trip. He’s absolutely right.
No comments:
Post a Comment