Saturday, February 15, 2014

Long Distance and Loneliness

As most of you know, I’ve been in a long distance relationship for quite some time now.  We started our relationship in person and very shortly thereafter went to long distance when Stef moved back to Liberia.  Within a month I moved to Myanmar so we were really long distance in terms of communication. 

The internet isn’t the best in Myanmar so we weren’t able to Skype anymore.  I spent three months in Myanmar doing work that was more fulfilling than any I’ve ever done before.  It’s what I feel called to do with my life. 

However, during that time it was pretty tough not being able to Skype with Steffani.  We got by on emails every day.  There’s a certain nostalgia about writing love letters to your significant other.  It is certainly difficult after being able to Skype for a period of time.

I got back to the states in September and Stef was still in Liberia.  We were finally able to Skype again and we didn’t take it for granted.  In December, my beautiful girlfriend came to Sarasota and then we went jet setting to different places where our families live.  It was a wonderful time to reconnect in person and also to make sure we were on the same page with our relationship.

The only problem with that of course is when you have to get back to ‘reality’ so to speak.  Steffani had a job to get back to in Liberia and I had to figure out what I was going to do since I didn’t get the internship with Samaritan’s Purse in Liberia like we had both hoped for.  Now I’m fundraising in order to get back to Myanmar and praying she’s able to make it over there when she finishes her contract this upcoming summer.

I just want to be with her.  I know that sounds cheesy but it’s especially apparent on days like today, Valentine’s Day.  For one, I rarely have anyone to spend Valentine’s Day to begin with.  Now that I actually have a girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, we’re only able to Skype.

Yeah, it’s days like today where it’s tough in long distance relationships.  There are benefits to being long distance like not having nearly as much physical temptation (when you are together you’re surrounded by family and you know that’s not okay J ).  Overall though it’s really tough.  I would add here that our communication is probably better than the average couple because that’s all we have to get by on for now.


Sorry for the rambling.  It’s just hard on certain days to be away from the one you love, ya know?  I mean, it’s hard all the time but especially on lovey dovey days like today or other significant holidays or what have you.  The nice thing is we are less likely to take each other for granted when we do finally get to be together full time.

No comments: