This idea comes from one of the last books I read called Home Economics. He was referring to life on the farm in a community and how people made it. They were thrifty and generous.
I really like this idea. Many people know that I’m cheap, but I also try and be very generous as well. If I do spend money I want to bless someone with it, not just spend it on myself. One of my favorite things to do with money is to buy Steffani flowers. Full disclosure, I have a calendar reminder that tells me when it’s been a while and asks if I’m bought her any flowers or written her a love letter recently.
Her eyes always light up when I give her flowers. Fellas, if you’re single and trying to woo a lady, try flowers. They will hopefully work as well for you as they do for me. Men, if you’re married, when was the last time you gave your wife flowers just because?
My preacher growing up used to say if giving doesn’t hurt a little you’re not doing it right. I couldn’t agree more. If you look at the Bible it has a lot more to say about sacrificing than a certain percentage. 10% is a great start for Christians but I like to challenge people to give above and beyond that.
It’s harder now to challenge people on giving; I feel as though they might think I have an agenda since I’m now raising money. While I would love for people to give to our ministry, it is far more important that they give period. It does wonders for the soul and gets the focus off yourself.
Recently, Steffani and I upped our own giving; we feel if we’re challenging others to give than we better set a good example ourselves. Plus it’s what we as believers are called to. I’m amazed at how many people don’t give on a regular basis in the Church. I’m sure we’ve all heard the stats about how giving in the church merely mirrors the same types of percentages as outside the church. Brothers and sisters, this ought not be!
We serve a generous God; therefore let us be generous ourselves toward God and others. Not in the guilt trip type of way but rather in the it’s the only way we know how to respond to a God who loved us enough to sacrifice His Son. Who are you going to bless by being generous today?
No comments:
Post a Comment