Saturday, October 17, 2015

Unity in Marriage

Today I was walking with Steffani and discussing our future.  We have different ideas on where we should go from here.  I’ve been telling people this idea for an entrepreneurship school in Cuba all along and it’s what I feel called to.  She would prefer to go somewhere else first that has an established team.

While ‘having a discussion’ can be difficult and stressful, it’s vitally more important to remember we’re on the same team.  We can have disagreements about where to head in the future and that’s completely okay.  My mentor laughed as I was telling him about this today and said, “I wish I could tell you that goes away with time but you know my wife and I well enough to know that it doesn’t.”

Disagreements will come and go, but our marriage lasting is what counts.  Being unified as a couple, even when you’re not sure what the future holds in terms of where you’re going to end up, is very important.  There’s room for disagreement in unity.

Look at the church, both globally and locally.  There are many different expressions of the faith but what counts is that we’re all worshiping the same Christ and that we’re unified.  People get caught up in the minutiae and forget what’s really important.

Even if something feels much bigger, like where we’re going to end up, I know it’ll be okay with us.  I know this because our marriage is built on Christ and Christ alone.  He is the unifier of our relationship, and therefore I can rest assured that He’s got this.  More importantly He’s got us.

So while we will inevitably have disagreements like all married couples do, I know for certain that we can still be unified in our marriage.  We don’t have to see eye to eye on everything and that is still okay.  Steffani and I have an awesome marriage, one that is very steady and constant.  We’re both very grateful for where God has taken us this year and look forward to where He will take us in the future, no matter where that might be.

No comments: