Ramsey uses a small wins mentality in his debt snowball method of paying off debt. The basic idea is to pay off your debts from smallest to largest. You don’t worry about which is the highest interest rate, you only worry about the amount, the actual dollar amount of the debt. The reason for this is that if you get a small win early on it will add fuel to your fire of getting out of debt quicker. You’ll feel a sense of pride and accomplishment and it can change your psyche to actually going the whole way of paying off all your debt.
Another area is diet. Someone gave me a great suggestion on my last blog about switching out refined sugars for honey. I haven’t started it yet but I’m sure that’ll feel like a small win. My small wins so far in the diet area has been getting off soda. And now for sweet tea I only drink half sweet and half unsweet. Those are small wins for me and I should celebrate those somehow. Not by binge eating on ice cream preferably though haha When you’re tackling a big problem like wanting to lose weight it’s easy to lose sight of the small wins you’ve accomplished because the task is just so big. Little by little though, small wins add up to big victories.
My mom used to encourage me and still does from time to time to take things step by step. You see, I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and think of the big picture. That’s not how you make progress though. Big picture and big vision are great as a starting point but soon after that you need to determine the next step or you’ll never get anywhere.
What’s a small win that you need to take time and celebrate in the new year? Have you made progress on 2016’s goals or resolutions yet? If you have, take time to celebrate those small wins or at least acknowledge them. If you only focus on the problem ahead it can get really discouraging; I’m speaking from experience on that one for sure by the way. If you look back though and see where God has already taken you, then you’ll gain confidence for what lays ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment