This blog is about a book I finished in about an hour; short, sweet and to the point, just like I like books to be. It’s all about personal responsibility, or as he puts it personal accountability. He states that questions that begin with why or when and have a they or them in them are incorrect questions. Better to ask how or what, have an “I” in the question and then an action step.
I found this book to be beneficial because it talks about how to eliminate blame, complaining, and procrastination. 3 things I can easily struggle with if I’m not careful. It made me think of my dad who has always emphasized taking action rather than just thinking through a problem forever and ever.
The book has you asking yourself questions like, “What can I do about this situation?” “How can I change this aspect of my life?” It focuses on changing yourself rather than the people around you. Who hasn’t wanted to change someone else? I know I sure did as a teacher; I can assure you of that! What I should have focused on was how I could have changed my teaching style to better meet the needs of every student; easier said than done though.
It also reiterates the need to put ourselves in others’ shoes. “What can I do to better help that person?” “What are some problems they may be facing in the field that I need to address here in development?”
I highly recommend this little book. Like I said it takes a whopping hour to read so turn off the TV for an hour tonight and read this book :)
No comments:
Post a Comment