Saturday, February 6, 2016

Willpower, Part 2

This is probably why exercising in the morning is easier to stick to than exercising after work.  Your willpower is fresh in the morning whereas if you wait till after work you’ve often exerted the full amount of willpower you have for the day and just want to veg in front of a TV and eat a bag of chips, not that I’m speaking from experience or anything there  :)  

I’m determined to start getting up earlier to start my day off with exercise.  Just like the hip and knee replacement surgery patients though, I need to devise a plan.  What will I do if it’s raining outside?  I can work out inside on those days.  How long will I work out?  How many days will I do this?  What will I do if I just want to sleep in?  Remind myself of how good I feel when I exercise first thing.  I don’t always get a runner’s high but I do often feel a sense of accomplishment if it’s the first thing I do.

I think exercise is one of the keystone habits that has the most overall effect.  If you can start there you can go a long way.  Better yet if you start with small wins in exercise it may just be the key to unlocking a whole plethora of good habits.

What I’m curious about is why some areas of my life willpower seems easy and other areas it feels like I’m pulling my own teeth trying to motivate myself to do something.  For instance, money management has always come naturally to me; in large part because my parents taught me good money habits at a young age.  Eating right though is so difficult for me.  Maybe if I start my days with exercise, consistently, that will lead to better eating throughout the day because I won’t want to waste my workouts so to speak.

No comments: