Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My Missionary Life, Part 2

I have been a missionary before on short term projects, the longest of which was 7 months in Myanmar.  There’s a different feeling though when you know you’re not going to see home for a 3 year term as our mission agency requires.  There is wisdom in the three year obligation and I’m not doubting that it takes that long to enculturate.  Nevertheless it will be another difficulty we need to fight through.  Thank God for the internet so we can at least touch base with people on occasion.

In my former career I was an elementary teacher and took mission trips in the summers overseas.  When I first started pursuing full time mission work I told people you can only go on so many short term trips before you feel called full time.  The process for me has been a more gradual one.  Some people start fresh out of college and that’s fantastic.  My route just looked a little different.  I took a baby step at a time and now am hopefully very close to going full time.

I originally had planned on doing work in Cuba with my beautiful wife.  After a year of working towards that I was broken hearted that it didn’t work out.  I’ve blogged about that before so won’t belabor the point here, but I was rather crushed by it.

Spain seems like it will be a much better fit for both of us; Steffani was never as wild about Cuba as I was but she really likes Spain so that’s encouraging.  As of now it seems like such a good fit for us.  Steffani has a heart for women’s ministry and has been cultivating a heart for working with Muslims the last couple of years.  I fell in love with small business development during my time in Myanmar.  How does that play out in Spain you ask?  Well, let me tell you in the next post  :)

No comments: