Sunday, March 6, 2016

Thoughts on Church

First off, I realize this has a very similar title to my post last time so I apologize for that; I simply couldn’t come up with anything better to be frank.  As many of you know, my beautiful wife and I are currently house and dog sitting for dear friends of our’s in Edinburgh, Scotland.  It is Sunday night and I’m about to let the dogs out one last time and then put them and myself to bed.

It’s Sunday and I didn’t go to church today.  It struck me as odd as I usually love to go to church and could have gone to the same one today that I went to last week with Ryan but didn’t plan ahead for it.  Not everyone loves church like I do of course, but I’ve always found a safe haven there.

I’ve seen churches split from the outside but personally I’m grateful that I’ve been a part of some really healthy churches over the years.  Being a fairly social person, I love seeing people on a weekly basis and ideally even more than that in a weekly small group.  Campus ministry back in my college days was what really set me on fire for Jesus, and ever since then I’ve found a home in the church.

Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for everyone.  Some people go to church only to be rejected.  This should cause us to pause and perhaps even mourn.  If people are rejected at church, where then are they supposed to go?  Church needs to be a place of love and warmth; where we realize it’s okay to not have all our stuff together.

No comments: