Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Thoughts on Worry

The other night I accompanied my good friend Ryan to a local church service here in Scotland on the outskirts of Edinburgh where his family is now residing as missionaries.  We came here to house and dog sit for them as well as just to offer some encouragement as life can be tough whilst living overseas away from all your family and friends.  We are heading to Spain next week to make sure that’s where God wants us to be long term before we sign on for a 3 year term.  We’re fairly confident it’s where we’re supposed to be but obviously want to see the place before we commit to 3 years there, ya know?

Anyway, a lady spoke at the church the other night and shared how she used to struggle with worry but had allowed God to change her thinking on the subject through Scripture study but also using other authors to help her.  One of those authors was Corrie Ten Boom who had much to say about worry.  “Worrying is carrying tomorrow’s load with today’s strength - carrying two days at once.  It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time.  Worrying doesn’t empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”


For me, my worries are usually about money and if we’ll have enough.  It’s a silly thing to worry about at this point in my life; I’ve seen God provide for all my needs every day I’ve been alive.  For some reason though, I still worry about if we’re going to have enough to make it or not.  Part of that is living on a tight missionary budget.  We’re hoping to move to Spain and that will certainly add some expense to our budget in certain areas I’m sure.

No comments: