I want to be crystal clear here
in my argument. I have had bipolar
disorder since I was 17; which the math works out to 14 years of my life I’ve
had this illness. Bipolar disorder is a
chronic illness; meaning I will never get over it, contrary to what some faith
healers may believe. In a couple weeks I
get to teach at youth group on the passage in 2 Corinthians where it talks
about the thorn in the side and how God’s strength is showed through our
weaknesses. Some people in the faith
community don’t know how to treat chronic illness. Much like Job’s friends in the Old Testament,
they see it as a result of sinful living.
Anyway, any health insurance
company that takes me on as a customer is necessarily going to lose money on
me. They simply have to with the way the
current system is set up. Drug companies
charge way too much for drugs, even generics like I’m on; and so as a result
someone has to pay. Since I want to try
some stuff on my own and want to get private insurance, it simply doesn’t make
economical sense for a health insurance company to take me on as a patient.
I had lunch with a dear friend
today and as we were discussing this I made the off-hand comment that I
wondered how many people were in jobs they despised because of the health care
that they were afforded. I wonder how
many people want to, even long to take a huge risk and start a business but
simply can’t leave their current job because of health care. If you have a family to provide for all the
more reason to not take a risk, start a business and help the economy turn
around. It’s better to play it safe so
your kids can be covered by your health insurance plan.
Again, we’re talking about
freedom, true freedom here. In our high
ambition to pay as little taxes as possible, we have made it to where people
stay in awful jobs just for the health care as opposed to branching out and
trying something new. This country was
built on an entrepreneurial spirit and we are largely ignoring that impulse by
requiring our healthcare to be wrapped up with our employment.
It would have to be monitored for
abuses, just like everything should be.
There would have to be independent companies who did audits to make sure
money was being spent wisely. There has
to be a better way than what we have currently, no one can argue that. It’s just a matter of how we go about doing
so.
No comments:
Post a Comment